Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought me one of those babies and oh my... why didn't I do this earlier.

I used to wash my cases, which is a tedious job. It gets the cases cleaned, but that's it, they keep on looking "used". I'm totally aware that technically it doesn't matter a bit to have nice and shiny cases, but I'm more of a nerd in this than I originally expected. I actually do care to have nice looking reloads.
(strictly speaking the washing was also not necessary as my brass typically isn't that dirty).

So all if you in doubt for buying a tumbler, don't hesitate, it brings satisfaction 350 shiny cases at a time.

I'm sorry for wasting your time & bandwidth with this :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have a vibratory you and it suits me fine. Like you said, they don't need to be shiny they just need to be sturdy

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was using a Midway tumbler for many years. The only problem I had was a rubber foot went missing. Fort media I use crushed corn cob embedded with green jeweler's polish. Corn Cobb doesn't leave black dust associated with walnut shells.
A little over a year ago I started using a rotary tumbler. The media is stainless steel pellets, dawn dish washing soap, lemi-shine and water. This process cleans the inside, outside and primer pockets if they are deprived. After they are cleaned, I drop them in a vibrating tumbler for about an hour to remove any tarnish.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
And if you use the treated walnut media , the stuff that's treated with polishing rouge, the cases will shine like a new penny. And I like shiney brass !
Everybody talks about dust, but I never experience it. The stuff does need to be rejuvenated and it wears out and needs to be replaced every so often. I like walnut media.
Gary

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
I have 2 of the lyman 1200 pro tumblers with the sifter top. I had one go down about 7 months after I bought it, and sent it back for repair. Got it back in a month, and has been rolling on ever since. I plug mine into a timer, usually set it for 12am to 8am hours, fill it up about 3/4 full with lyman treated tuffnut, and dump, in the cases. I have tumbled everything from 380 acp all the way up to 50 bmg in mine, works like a charm, and way better than the hornady unit I once used. ;) my rounds end up more shiney than new ones, thats what I like.

·
Registered
649 Posts

I used to wash my cases, which is a tedious job. It gets the cases cleaned, but that's it, they keep on looking "used". I'm totally aware that technically it doesn't matter a bit to have nice and shiny cases, but I'm more of a nerd in this than I originally expected. I actually do care to have nice looking reloads.
(strictly speaking the washing was also not necessary as my brass typically isn't that dirty).

So all if you in doubt for buying a tumbler, don't hesitate, it brings satisfaction 350 shiny cases at a time.

I'm sorry for wasting your time & bandwidth with this :)
When you say you used to wash your cases, do you mean using a rotary tumbler?

·
Registered
773 Posts
I tumble in Lizard Litter (crushed walnut) I get from PetsMart for like $18 per 25lb bag. Tumbling for 30 minutes will get things clean enough but continuing on to about 1 hr will get all but the most stained sparkling. Throw in a cap full of cheap liquid car wax in a new batch of walnut and tumble for 10 minutes to mix it up then add a dryer anti-static sheet to soak up the little dust that remains and you're ready to rock.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
Probably he is either talking about using the dish washer, which i have heard of some people doing, or an ultrasonic cleaner, water mixed with solution. I tried the ultra sonic cleaner from*hornady. It works but still you have to tumble them in some sort of media, or they will not shine. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Probably he is either talking about using the dish washer, which i have heard of some people doing, or an ultrasonic cleaner, water mixed with solution. I tried the ultra sonic cleaner from*hornady. It works but still you have to tumble them in some sort of media, or they will not shine. Just my thoughts.
The reason why I'm asking is that I went from a vibrating to a rotary tumbler.
It does wash the brass, the steel media cleans the brass inside and out and I don't have to worry about cleaning the primer pockets anymore.
If you are into shiny brass as well, then this is the way to go.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,028 Posts
The reason why I'm asking is that I went from a vibrating to a rotary tumbler.
It does wash the brass, the steel media cleans the brass inside and out and I don't have to worry about cleaning the primer pockets anymore.
If you are into shiny brass as well, then this is the way to go.
Never tried it personally but that is interesting, thanks for the information.;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
Never tried it personally but that is interesting, thanks for the information.;)
You are welcome.

Forgot to mention that the rotary tumblers cost a little more but the steel media doesn't wear out, hence no future media expense.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts

That's the one I bought from the start after reading several reviews on it. I've used it a couple times and am really happy with it.

I recently bought a BUNCH of .45 ACP brass at an auction so I am going to give it a work out. :D

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, shaking them manually in a mix of hot water, detergent and citric acid. Worked pretty good, but it's labour intensive & you have to go through the drying process.

I considered buying a rotary tumbler or ultrasonic cleaner, but went for the cheaper option and I don't have to use the oven now :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts