Ruger Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
I would gladly pay more for the Great Plains as it is truer to the mid 1800's Hawken style rifles.
Thompson Center makes a quality front loader, but a bit more modern looking, just not my thing.
I also like real black powder instead of Pyrodex, loading like they did 160 years ago instead of using plastic tubes to hold powder and projectile, walnut stocks instead of synthetic, a side hammer instead of an inline, etc.
I realize that all of these modern things are an improvement over the old, but so is a scoped Model 700 in say, .270 or 30/06.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Did you find a rifle?

Sat in a deer stand last year with my son-in-law on an archery only lease. Saw way to many pigs. The ranch owner wants the pigs gone and we suggested a pig only week with pistols or black powder. He just stood there and then gave us a date and said he would let everyone on the lease know. Later that day he said he might even set a bounty on the pigs to be taken off the next years lease and let other family members hunt that week also. He had hired a helicopter to eradicate the swine and only saw two dead pigs in the video footage.

So I located a T/C Hawken in 50 caliber and plan to shoot maxi-balls that week backed up with a 41 mag revolver.

My search for a rifle located three or four rifles in ever pawn shop or gun shop we stopped in Alabama and Kentucky. Priced mostly in the 250 to 450$ range. I did pickup a rifle that looked unfired for 300$. It shoots round balls on a patch to point of aim at 50 yards. Now to find some maxi-balls and test for accuracy.

At the range, I got four shoots off while the AR in the next lane ran about 40 or 50 rounds.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a TC Hawken .50 caliber and a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 caliber that I built from a kit. Both are excellent. If you are looking for a project, then the GPR is the way to go IMO. Look around for kits that people bought and never got around to building. They can be had at a great bargain. The Birchwood-Casey Plumb Brown is a great product for finishing the metal work, and a very nice finish can be had on the wood by painting it with black artists oil paint, letting it dry, sanding it back so only the pores are filled, then following up with multiple coats of TruOil. I polished the frond cap and finished it with Naval Jelly which gives it a nice phosphate finish that closely resembles pewter. Don't use any stain on the stock. The walnut in the Lyman kits finishes up very nicely if left natural. The TC Hawken rifles are the cream of the crop with regard to finished rifles, not counting the Jonathan Browning Mountain Rifle, IMO. The best advice I can give you about shooting is to establish a loading routine and never vary from it. I got interrupted by a "range clear" call once, and came back afterward and rammed a ball home on an uncharged barrel. It brought my range day to a screaching halt and was a PITA I don't care to repeat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've had a couple of TC Hawken Rifles, one in .45, one in .50 (which I still have).

They are definitely accurate and definitely fun!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have three black powder rifles, Lyman Great Plains in 54 cal., TC Hawkins in 54 cal., and a Green River in 50 cal. The Green River is the most accurate of three but all are good. If I was getting one for a range gun and not one to hunt with I’d get a 50 cal. There seems to be more products available for 50 cal., at least around here anyway.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a Thompson Renegade that I got the scope kit for and put a low cost scope (not exactly Kit Carson) but legal in NH during black powder season. With a weighed charge of 100 gr black powder and a 240 gr saboted 45 bullet (did much better than patch and ball or Maxi-hunter type bullets) it was scary accurate at 100 yards. The biggest problem I had was it was noisy to cock the hammer back and that frightened close in deer off so I would cock it and leave the cap off. Trying to put a little cap on in the cold when you see deer didn't work too well either. I got an in-line that takes 209's with a safety and put a scope on it. I'm more hunter than traditionalist. I think Kit would approve. ;)
I love the series of events that led to your purchase of an in line. That's why I quit bow hunting. I couldn't take the cold sitting in a tree anymore.

·
Registered
53 Posts
display

Nice display you have there.. love the old books bookcase display with the early-style firearms.. Such things warm the cockles of my antiquarian heart!:thumbsup:
My own bp rifles are a Traditions .54 perc and a TC .54 flinter. Both shoot well and are large enuf caliber to be useful on RM elk and bear. Neither are "period authentic" on account of the adjustable sights, however I set the sights once and don't mess with them. Havent tried the sabot projectiles yet but they are worth looking into should I ever decide to hunt with these rifles.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the Lyman is pretty authentic, right down to the hooked buttplate. The T/C is more comfortable shooting from the bench.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I love my GPR, fun to shoot and reasonably priced. I managed to get to the point where I can get repeated kill hits on a deer sized target at 150 yards with 90grns of fff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a Great Plains rifle in .50 with the roundball twist. I shot 80 grains of Goex fffg, .015 greased patch(bore butter) and .490 roundball. The groups shrunk dramatically just after switching from FFg to FFFg powder. It was really accurate.
I have a .50&.54 TC Hawken. I shoot Great Plain bullets in the .54 and right now in the .50 I use Maxi balls. 100 grains in the .54 and 80 grains in the .50. I use Goex Olde Eynesford FFFg powder which is very quick igniting powder.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have three BP firearms. They are TC Renegade 54 caliber dating back to the 1970's, a Ruger Old Army 7.5" in stainless, and White 50 caliber inline in stainless. They are fun to shoot and as I get older I seem to like them more and more. They all can be very accurate and more powerful than a lot of persons think they have.

Sent from my SM-T818V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shoot a .50 T/C Hawken, a .54 Lyman Great Plains, and a 7.5” blued Old Army.

All 3 will harvest game as well as my .30/30 does in the SW TN forested scrub I usually hunt.

Still hunting for an unconverted 1816 Springfield rifled musket. That means a flinter, caps can be hard to find around here.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts