Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a set of rings on eBay for my M-77 mkii compact 260. I sold the original scope on the gun and the rings were pretty dinged up so I decided to get new rings and a scope . I wanted to keep it original so I actually found the exact original rings in original packaging. When installing it’s easy to notice the rings aren’t perfect as they are cast not made cnc. I’m sure the hole itself is fine but you can see the difference that’s for sure. When mounting my scope i literally had to press the top 1/2 of the ring onto the scope tube for it to go in place and i know it had to of drug the finish off the scope a little. Yes I’m sure I had the correct ring 1/2 on each side . They don’t intermix . Also when torquing with my FAT wrench on the flathead screws i went back over the screws several times and continued to get 1/8 turns several times even paste the torq setting . I chose 19-20”lbs. I thought this was odd I’ve never had a set of rings that seemed to gradually tighten even after torqing. After going over them about 4 times . Finally all 8 screws stopped moving and the wrench would click without moving any further . Any of you guys seen this with the old ruger rings with flat head screws.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Yep, the scope hasn’t moved in 27 years though.

·
Registered
742 Posts
My advice would be to use a lapping procedure to smooth out the rough or tight spots on the rings for proper fit and alignment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a lapping kit, and I used my alignment rods before installing , the rods showed me no reason to lap, matter of fact the top 1/2 of the rings had to be pushed into the alignment rods as well. I have always heard ruger rings needed lapping. Would you still lap them? Even after alignment showed no issues .

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I have a lapping kit, and I used my alignment rods before installing , the rods showed me no reason to lap, matter of fact the top 1/2 of the rings had to be pushed into the alignment rods as well. I have always heard ruger rings needed lapping. Would you still lap them? Even after alignment showed no issues .
No, there’s no reason to go through that process if they’re lining up. I’ve never lapped a set of Ruger rings to date. As I stated earlier I had the same issues with the older type screws Ruger used in the past but it all worked out. Your scope isn’t going anywhere.

Take it out and start having some fun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The old rings with the original scope weren’t even tightened evenly. Completely closed on one side with an open gap on the other . The scope even had pretty bad ring marks when I took it off. Gun still shot fine and held true then . I didn’t mount original scope just bought it that way. I did do my best to tighten them as evenly as possible . They look fine. Thanks for the help. Can’t wait to shoot it again .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently purchased a set of rings on eBay for my M-77 mkii compact 260. I sold the original scope on the gun and the rings were pretty dinged up so I decided to get new rings and a scope . I wanted to keep it original so I actually found the exact original rings in original packaging. When installing it’s easy to notice the rings aren’t perfect as they are cast not made cnc. I’m sure the hole itself is fine but you can see the difference that’s for sure. When mounting my scope i literally had to press the top 1/2 of the ring onto the scope tube for it to go in place and i know it had to of drug the finish off the scope a little. Yes I’m sure I had the correct ring 1/2 on each side . They don’t intermix . Also when torquing with my FAT wrench on the flathead screws i went back over the screws several times and continued to get 1/8 turns several times even paste the torq setting . I chose 19-20”lbs. I thought this was odd I’ve never had a set of rings that seemed to gradually tighten even after torqing. After going over them about 4 times . Finally all 8 screws stopped moving and the wrench would click without moving any further . Any of you guys seen this with the old ruger rings with flat head screws.
I have had the exact same problems with Ruger factory rings for the past 5 years or so. Have had several Ruger rifles brought to me because the factory rings would not hold their scope. Never had a bit of trouble in older Ruger's... Ruger rings have become crude & out of round. To lap enough to clean up the inside of the Ruger rings many times means an oversize Ring. Have had to completely replace the factory Ruger using Warne replacement rings. The Warne rings attach directly to the Ruger action. They are available as a standard or quick release style. I highly recommend them if your factory Ruger rings fail to work. Warne rings call for a max of 25 in lbs of torque . They are true & they work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When mounting my scope i literally had to press the top 1/2 of the ring onto the scope tube for it to go in place and i know it had to of drug the finish off the scope a little.
I've had this exact issue on 85% of the Ruger rings I've owned.

I don't have a lapping kit or adjustment bars, but I've always found Ruger rings get me on paper without having to bore-sight.

While this issue is not ideal, it hasn't resulted in any major scratches on my scopes, however, the matte finish on the scopes will show a ring mark (basically compressed paint). I still believe these are some of the better mounting systems out there...rock solid, easy to install, and come free with the rifle. I also hate that awful "snap" as the ring's top half goes on and worry I'm damaging an expensive scope, but as long as you aren't playing musical chairs with your scopes, it doesn't become a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts