Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
300 rds so far with zero malfunctions with all sorts of cheap .223 and 5.56. Great AR15 for 630.00. I've added Magpul hand guard, stock, and grip. Targets shown are my first long range shots with the rifle. The green target is from 100 yards and the white at 200. The hand guard was rested on a bean bag and the stock against my shoulder. 13 shots on the green and 10 shots on the white. Keep in mind this is iron sights only without a lot of practice.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ive been looking at these locally as well. For the price they seem great. I cant imagine us non military types needing the dust cover/forward assist. Congrats on the buy, have fun.

·
/Brownster/Blk Dynamite
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look up the reviews they are crazy good. As far as the forward assist I'd never use it anyway. I don't like forcing rounds. Dust cover would be great in a desert environment but urban I don't see a use for it.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Great gun for a great price. My LGS has a tough time getting those, much like the SR 1911 and the S&W Shield. When they do hit the shelf they vanish quickly.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
I bought the sport a year ago at a LGS that had bought a bunch to fill out a order and decided to dump them at $50 over cost. I paid $499. Got to admit that I'm the guy who never gets a deal, because I go home to think it over. Then it's gone when I go back. Not this time, I bought two. I used up my good karma for the next ten years, but I'm smiling. :D:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,808 Posts
Nice range report Brewster! Very impressive with open sights. I've been having a similar level of fun with my inexpensive Bushmaster Carbon 15. Bought it new for around the same price as your S&W and have been very impressed with its performance and accuracy. It's good to have options that get you into the AR-15 game without spending $1500....

I'll have to get out on the range and try some longer distances. I did put a cheap $50 halo sight on mine....is that cheating?!

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
Brewster, I don't think I could shoot that well with just the iron sights and my tired old eyes. Nice shootin'!

That's a good competitive price ... there's a dealer down in Thousand Oaks selling them for $639. I'm tempted, but I still have to figure out a way to sneak it into the house ... and explain why I was gone for 7 hours ... twice. :D

Your new avatar cracks me up.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
That's a good competitive price ... there's a dealer down in Thousand Oaks selling them for $639. I'm tempted, but I still have to figure out a way to sneak it into the house ... and explain why I was gone for 7 hours ... twice. :D
Larry I am shocked you do not know the "new gun sneak trick"
Tell Mrs L you are going to the range and take two rifle cases. One case needs to be empty. On the return you have the same two cases, but that's right both now have guns in them.
As for the seven hours. The range was packed today with a local scout troop working on their shooting merit badges.

I had a friend years ago that took and empty rifle case to deer camp for a week. He claimed at his age he had no desire to kill anymore deer. He just looked at it as a week away with guys to camp out,relax, play poker and tell stories. He thought his wife would be insulted if she knew it was not about the deer. Later when we picked up from the butcher shop we would give him some of what he called "venison props"

1 - 11 of 11 Posts