Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Quick question - I have the M&P Shield in .40 and really like it. I was also thinking of picking up the 9MM since my LGS is running a special. What do you think? Too redundant? Anyone here have both and whatdaya' think?

Thanks!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
The Shield in 9mm is a sweet little pistol. I like them a lot. I've only fired the full sized M&Ps in 40 and 45. It's a good line and I plan to get more in the future.

Just to let you know, Palmetto State Armory has the Shield in 40sw for $299. Sweet deal!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
9mm should shoot much nicer than the .40, cheaper ammo, more capacity, and ballistically 9mm is as good as any other pistol ammo these days.

Do it!

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
I personally like .40 cal., and have a Glock 23 that I really enjoy shooting. Having said that, the "masses" seem to be moving away from .40 and singing the praises of 9mm.

If you buy the 9mm Shield, I would not be surprised if you find out you like it better than your .40. You will definitely prefer the price of the ammo.

I'd buy it and keep 'em both as you never know when the next panic will cause 9mm ammo to disappear from the shelves.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I tried both (at Palmetto State Armory), and bought the 9mm. I was more accurate, especially on follow up shots. The .40 was fine, but the snappier recoil was far less comfortable than the 9mm.

Do you have an Apex trigger/sear/etc on your .40? Makes a world of difference from the stock parts.

I spend the $ difference between .40 and 9mm on more practice time (and a laser, Talon grips, ATS, Apex etc....)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd go with the .40 and look for a 9mm conversion barrel. Thats what I did with my Glock 23, .40, .357sig and 9mm.
Thanks ScaryWoody,
I was thinking the same thing, but conversion barrels are tough to find around here. Do you mind if I asked where you found/I might find one to buy?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
designed for 9 or 40?

does the M&P Shield have a 'natural' caliber?

I want reliability.
I don't care about a few bucks diff in ammo price.
my hand will recover from the recoil abuse of 40.
I want reliable.
full.metal.jacket better than a one shot pistol.
I want reliable

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don't see why you shouldn't get the nine. I liked my SR9c so much that I got the SR40c. I love both and even though they are different calibers, they are quite similar. Go for what is going to make you happy. That's what it's all about.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Get it, same gun as the 40 only less snap and cheaper ammo but every bit as reliable. I own the 9 and not a single issue, excellent gun imo.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
You can't go wrong with either caliber. The reason I bought a .40 vs a 9mm was that I already had a stockpile of .40S&W for some of my other guns and didn't want to start over. If 9mms are trending up, that could mean the price of .40S&W may come down and 9mm could get more expensive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts