Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
After looking at the pictures, it looked like the barrel failed and when asked the OP confirmed it had. If I read it correctly.

·
223 deer slayer
1,856 Posts
A .40 doesn't operate at higher pressure. SAAMI PSI for the 9mm and .40 S&W is 35,000 psi according to the Speer manual.
While the max pressure is the same, or very close, it is the curve that is drastically different. That's why the recoil of the 40 is so much harsher than a 9. I've never been a fan of polymer 40 cals, especially midget ones. I saw a glock come apart at a range right after I fired it and didn't like it... it was one of the early unsupported chambered ones years ago.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
While the max pressure is the same, or very close, it is the curve that is drastically different. That's why the recoil of the 40 is so much harsher than a 9. I've never been a fan of polymer 40 cals, especially midget ones. I saw a glock come apart at a range right after I fired it and didn't like it... it was one of the early unsupported chambered ones years ago.
Well said. That's why after having a SR40 for a number of years (with several thousand down the pipe) I reverted back to the tried and true .45 AP in a 1911. Smoother shooting and I really didn't need to carry 15 rounds. Even tho the recoil wasn't bad at all to me I can get a 1911 back on target much quicker.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I went over the S&W forum notes. As I understand it, the ammo being used was very hot. Underwood +p or +P+. Interesting, since there is no +P or +P+ specs for .40 ammo. What was being shot?
S&W doesn't recommend this. Maybe that's why they are reluctant to accept responsibility.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
As a man once aspiring to be president said, "well there ya go".
There is no free lunch.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
I went over the S&W forum notes. As I understand it, the ammo being used was very hot. Underwood +p or +P+. Interesting, since there is no +P or +P+ specs for .40 ammo. What was being shot?
S&W doesn't recommend this. Maybe that's why they are reluctant to accept responsibility.
I agree.

I think ultimately it will be determined that the ammo was to blame (based on my reading of the thread.)

Yup it was "factory manufactured" ammo but the specs on that ammo are in question due to a lack of a SAAMI spec.

If there is no spec for +p in .40 cal, how can it be labelled +p?

Just checked the Underwood site. 600+ ft/lbs for a .40 cal????? Yup it was hot ammo.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Not a huge fan of .40 or the M&P line in general, glad no one was injured. Gotta love it when people fire crazy ammo through their guns and blame the manufacturer when bad things happen.

It should still hold together, though. They proof (or should) those guns/barrels beforehand during testing.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I shoot .40 in my S&W M&P40 and it's really not that bad at all. I realize that the full size M&P40 is considered the lightest recoiling .40S&W but even so it doesn't seem like a high recoil round to me. I'm pretty suspicious about this supposed "rash" of KB's. The Shield has been out awhile and is extremely popular so if these .40's were exploding because of a handgun related reason there would way more than the "four" known incidents I keep seeing referred to.

I'm thinking these few cases are due to multiple causes and not bad guns. Most likely ammunition is the cause. Most KB's blamed on the gun are because someone used hot reloads, factory overcharged round, shooting someone else's ammo you have no control over, all kinds of stuff. Go do some research on rimfire guns letting go and read the details in each case, I did, and found almost every KB'd .22 on all these various forums had one thing that they all shared...they were shooting Aguila ammo. One guys gun blew and after Aguila checked the gun and the ammo he was shooting they said "our bad" and replaced his gun. Great customer service but how about recalling the ammo and stepping up QC? Apparently that wasn't in the cards, which is a reason why I never use Aguila but that's beside the point. All things considered at the moment it looks more ammo related than gun.

Even so you have people saying they'll never buy one of those or "that could have been me! I'm nervous to shoot my own gun now"...all kinds of stuff. We gotta be smarter than that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
After reading some post on the S&W form makes me wonder if its not the gun. Seems like to many failures from all over using factory ammo. :confused:

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think at this point in time, the root cause is still undetermined. It would take a concerted effort on the part of S&W and the ammo manufacturers to uncover the actual cause of these "events". I suspect that neither have much motivation to do so. However, it will be interesting to see if the repeated blame put on the ammunition by both S&W and forum members causes the ammo makers to stop recommending that their offerings be used in the Shield and/or become vocal in the defense of their product. Hopefully, the root cause will be identified and remedied before someone is seriously injured.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My nephew just got one of these for Christmas and although it is small for my taste I've enjoyed shooting it. He's probably put 300 rounds of factory hardball through it with one or two FTF's but otherwise I'm not seeing anything to worry over. Will keep a close eye on it though.

Rick H.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
After reading some post on the S&W form makes me wonder if its not the gun. Seems like to many failures from all over using factory ammo. :confused:
There is factory ammo and then there is "factory ammo".

Just because the non SAAMI ammo used in this case was built in a factory doesn't mean that it is safe to use.

The energy created by the ammo, per the "factory" that built it, indicates it could be as much as 50% hotter than other standard factory ammo that actually meets SAAMI published standards.

If you carefully read the thread and go to the manufacturer's website, they appear to NOT make any "standard" rated .40 cal ammo.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I don't understand the need for hot .40 S&W. I reloaded within SAAMI standards and chrony'd ammo that was approaching .357magnum velocity. If you need more than a .40 get a 10mm.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Quite simple, you have a non supported chamber.
Not sure about that. If you search the thread (and the web), there are pictures which seem to indicate that the chamber is supported as well as other manufacturers maximally supported chambers (I dont think any chamber is "fully" supported in the sense of encapsulating all the way to the extractor groove). The issue may be that not all their barrels are made equal, or worse, a materials (metallurgical) issue. This will not be resolved until either the ammo makers and/or S&W are forced to address the issue via a comprehensive investigation.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I would never use non-spec ammo in one of my firearms and I do not understand the reasoning of those who do. Guns are inherently dangerous and there is a lot that can go wrong with a firearm, and it can be dangerous when something does. S&W makes darned good guns, and like Ruger has always displayed a supernatural concern for safety. I query as to these incidents are caused by overly hot ammunition. I cannot imagine that S&W would ignore or "stonewall" a situation where they truly had a defective gun in the manner discussed in this thread.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Wow! I thought about buying a Shield a few months ago and found out there was a recall on them. Someone was looking out for me. Scratch the Shield off my list. I guess I'll stick to not buying any new production Smiths after all .

·
223 deer slayer
1,856 Posts
Wow! I thought about buying a Shield a few months ago and found out there was a recall on them. Someone was looking out for me. Scratch the Shield off my list. I guess I'll stick to not buying any new production Smiths after all .
There was not a recall. It was a safety alert. Very few guns failed the test and got sent in.

My 9mm shield has been flawless for 550-600 rounds. I'm not afraid to keep carrying it either.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts