Ruger Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this is a old post but I have a S&W 40 shield when I heard about them blowing up Mine went in the safe been there for a few years now has there been any up dats on this I have not seen anything on it.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
I know this is a old post but I have a S&W 40 shield when I heard about them blowing up Mine went in the safe been there for a few years now has there been any up dats on this I have not seen anything on it.
You need to contact S&W about the problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'll never own another Smith and Wesson....not because of quality issues, but because I hate to go begging every time I want a part, they won't just sell it to you and ship it out, they want you to send them the gun, have it tied up for two or three weeks, just to replace something you could have done yourself in ten minutes.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,753 Posts
Moral: Just say NO to all polymer-framed guns.

Done.

Now when a poorly loaded Georgia Arms round blew out the side of the case in my BIL's all- steel Kahr 9, the Kaboom look off the extractor claws off and nothing else. The gun was able to be repaired.

I know...The Shield .40 is but one type of polymer-frame gun. Millions of other polymer-frame guns don't fail, and steel ones can fail too, but, no plastic frames for this shooter.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
That is an old post and if you follow it to the end, you will find that it was determined that that same post was plastered on practically every firearm related forum and blog. It was also determined that the KaBoom was likely an out of battery discharge caused by a slightly too long case. In other words, the poster posted this all over the internet using several different names to make it look as if there were many such cases then disappeared. Although I do not own a .40 Shield, I do own two Shields a 9mm and a 45 acp and they have performed well with factory and hand loaded ammo. If I owned a 40 S&W Shield, I would not be afraid to shoot it at all.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I like to shoot 40 cal out of all metal full size handguns ONLY.
If I have a KAboom....
I feel that my chances of keeping my hand and all my fingers is better than with the Polymer frames.
my .02

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
If exploding .40 S&W Shields were a common occurrence, the S&W legal team would have been all over this. There would have been a production halt,recalls, and redesigns of the gun. Marketing depts. of other small polymer.40s would also be concerned. Even the news media would have picked up on it much as they did on the Remington 700 trigger problem. There would be a huge liability problem. Yet, you heard nothing except from internet babble.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts