Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an M1 Garand chambered in .308 and it shoots, but it does not cycle rounds. It seems as though the bolt does not go back quite enough after each shot, resulting in a successful ejection but failure to strip the next round out of the clip. It is almost as though it needs more force from the round or gas to send it fully back. So for now it is a bolt action rifle :( FWI an adjustable gas plug has been installed and adjusted every possible way and the same result happens. Just to be clear the gun does not jam, it simply fires a shot and the bolt closes, but the next round is not chambered. Any ideas, I think it may need a lighter op rod spring, but im not sure

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Well, before you do anything drastic, give it a good clean and lube. Try running it really "wet" with lube, and try running it dry. Also, try a couple of different kinds of ammo.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I have an M1 Garand chambered in .308 and it shoots, but it does not cycle rounds. It seems as though the bolt does not go back quite enough after each shot, resulting in a successful ejection but failure to strip the next round out of the clip. It is almost as though it needs more force from the round or gas to send it fully back. So for now it is a bolt action rifle :( FWI an adjustable gas plug has been installed and adjusted every possible way and the same result happens. Just to be clear the gun does not jam, it simply fires a shot and the bolt closes, but the next round is not chambered. Any ideas, I think it may need a lighter op rod spring, but im not sure
What kind of ammo are you using?

What is the history of the gun?

The Garand, like ALL military weapons, is designed to operate with the ammo they are SPEC'D for.

Garands converted to 7.62 NATO want to shoot NATO ammo of 148g FMJ at 2800fmg. That is the NATO standard. There is an upgrade of 168g that many guys use in long range comp but that's the lot. Mil-spec guns are designed to shoot the ammo they're SPEC"D for, unlike commercial civilian guns which are built much stronger to handle whatever they're fed.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The number one rule of Garand's is: If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it ...

Follow the directions in this link Detail Stripping The M1 Garand Rifle to strip the rifle, and then follow the above guide to lubricate it as you re-assemble it

After you do that, do a search for "Garand Tilt Test" and check to make sure that the op-rod isn't binding ....

If that doesn't fix it, swap the adjustable gas plug for a USGI plug in it and see how it cycles with M80 Ball or something similar ...

·
Registered
760 Posts
Can't help with this, but I am curious did you purchase this rifle through the CMP? I am considering one of these rifles in the 308 as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Do you have "the plug" in it? If so, it could be out of adjustment.
Just a thought.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ran into it at a pawn shop and got it for 900 otd. And it did the same thing with the USGI gas plug and the adjustable gas plug. I tried many different adjustments and it still did the same thing. I will try getting a new recoil spring and give it a could lube. I was shooting Winchester .308 ammo, but I have not shot any 7.62x51 NATO ammo yet and will be sure to give it a try. Thanks for the help

·
"The Real Deal"
7,066 Posts
I just ran into it at a pawn shop and got it for 900 otd. And it did the same thing with the USGI gas plug and the adjustable gas plug. I tried many different adjustments and it still did the same thing. I will try getting a new recoil spring and give it a could lube. I was shooting Winchester .308 ammo, but I have not shot any 7.62x51 NATO ammo yet and will be sure to give it a try. Thanks for the help
Careful with the 308 commercial ammo, it can bend the operating rod because of extra powder in the commercial ammo meaning extra recoil force.. Same issue with 30.06, they require a reduced load military type ammo, or reproduction of the original ball ammo. Or a correctly adjusted adjustable gas plug so the higher pressure ammo can be used. Also make sure you use an fmj ammo no polymer tipped etc, since the garand, and its relatives like the m1a will shear the tip off this type of ammo, and they require an fmj or fmj hp bullet for reliable function.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Also make sure you use an fmj ammo no polymer tipped etc, since the garand, and its relatives like the m1a will shear the tip off this type of ammo, and they require an fmj or fmj hp bullet for reliable function.
I have fired many dozens of poly-tipped Hornady bullets out of my Garand. And though I have never been able to examine the fired bullet, neither have I had feeding or accuracy problems...

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Yes, Winchester .308 ammo. great, but what was the bullet weight and type?

That's the most important info.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,066 Posts
I have fired many dozens of poly-tipped Hornady bullets out of my Garand. And though I have never been able to examine the fired bullet, neither have I had feeding or accuracy problems...
I was going off the included paperwork that came with my new m1a national match, m1 a scout etc Fmj ammo no soft points. I wondered why so I once tired the 168 amax in my m1a, and it would shear the tip off, dropping it into the internals of the rifle. I got the same results in my 1943 garand, so in those 3 rifles, I do not use polymer tipped or soft point ammo. Now the hk91, or lr308 do not mind either type. Besides the 155 and 168 sierra hpbt match king has produced the best groups for me anyhow.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was going off the included paperwork that came with my new m1a national match, m1 a scout etc Fmj ammo no soft points. I wondered why so I once tired the 168 amax in my m1a, and it would shear the tip off, dropping it into the internals of the rifle. I got the same results in my 1943 garand, so in those 3 rifles, I do not use polymer tipped or soft point ammo. Now the hk91, or lr308 do not mind either type. Besides the 155 and 168 sierra hpbt match king has produced the best groups for me anyhow.
Yikes!
That's not good to hear. But you can never go wrong with following the manufacturer's instructions/recommendations. I guess that I have been lucky. My Garand has a 56 marked barrel and is a Type 1 National Match...with the DCM papers :D:D:D.
All of my handloads (that I have tried) so far have been with either the Hornady A-Max or Nosler BT poly-tip bullets. No problems yet. I do have some made up using Hornady and Speer FMJ, but he Hornady A-Max and BT's have been so good, I haven't tried any of the FMJ loads.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,066 Posts
Yikes!
That's not good to hear. But you can never go wrong with following the manufacturer's instructions/recommendations. I guess that I have been lucky. My Garand has a 56 marked barrel and is a Type 1 National Match...with the DCM papers :D:D:D.
All of my handloads (that I have tried) so far have been with either the Hornady A-Max or Nosler BT poly-tip bullets. No problems yet. I do have some made up using Hornady and Speer FMJ, but he Hornady A-Max and BT's have been so good, I haven't tried any of the FMJ loads.
Yeah, I was worried in the beginning i had a large amount of amax ammo loaded for the 06, so since I do not have another 06 I had to single fire them, and shoot my supply in a remington 7600 my father in law has so I could start over. They did produce great groups, but the issues stopped me from using them in that rifle. In 308 I just shoot them in the prt91 or lr308 with no problems, but the biggest amount of reloads I have done is with sierra match kings. I do however shoot alot of the 6.5 grendel with a 123 amax, produced a 5 shot .557 group at 200 yards. I reload alot of vmax rounds in my 223's, use the nosler accubond in my 270 win, and 7mm mag. I also have grown to like the barnes tsx in my 50 bmg.

·
Registered
843 Posts
If your all clean and lubbed and that aint it..

Can you manually cycle it the rifle ? (please use dummy rounds)

Op-Rod dragging on the stock or handguard?

did you put the adjustable plug on?

Do you know for sure that the plug doesn't have a problem?

Do you have another gas plug to try from a known good garand?

Once you know it's not the gas plug, time to check to see if the gas hole in the barrel aligns correctly with the hole in the gas cylinder or is not partially plugged up with carbon.

Another issue, is the gas cylinder and gas piston in spec?

Just a thought, if the chamber is screwed up from a bad reaming job, do the fired cases look ok?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts