Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to fire an M1 Garand earlier this summer at the range on a couple of occasions, and I got the itch bad.

The auction sites had some nice examples, but the prices, wowzers!

The CMP seemed like an option, but there were none available for mail purchase, and it didn't look like there would be for some time, and driving to the north store for a chance at one just didn't seem very practical.

As luck would have it, a gentleman who shoots with us has a knack for tinkering with, and building them. The rumor mill said he had just finished building one to sell. Brand new Criterion barrel, pretty much everything else USGI Springfield Armory.

After a minor sight adjustment, I was easily able to put all shots in the 9 & 10 rings at 100 yards.

Words can't describe the experience of shooting a Garand, nor the nostalgia and appreciation that is invoked when one considers it's role in history as "the greatest battle implement ever devised" as Patton so well put it. They are awesome rifles, that were used by men of true grit.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Great looking Garand! I have never had the privledge of shooting one myself, but would love to. I have shot a Springfield Armory (the company, not the government arsenal) M1A and a SOCOM, and I really loved it. They also were making reproduction Garands, but don't know if they still are.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check the CMP site again ...
I was there yesterday and they have a number of M1 Garands that have become available, in conditions that range from field grade to national match. Prices ranged from $495 for field grade ($595 for service grade) to $3500 for a national match type 2.

The link is http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/m1garand.htm

Nick

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Very nice Tweek. I do love the thumb buster too. Trained with them in '68. My local shop has two on consignment. Beautiful rifles, in excellent shape, one with a laminated grey stock. The $1200 price tag way too much for me. The Garand is another of those 'coulda had cheap' many years ago. If I only knew!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I actually carried one. I'm the shortest guy out there, fifth white cover from the right:

I had the opportunity to fire one once again just this last July, thanks to a very good friend:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
they are a lot of rifle for sure.

·
Registered
129 Posts
My favorite weapon...hands down. Now mine, I purchased from Jim Thompson, the author of "The Classic M1 Garand" and "The Complete M1 Garand. Yup...5408627 is quite a shooter.

Everyone should own at least one M1 Garand during their life time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Mine is on order from CMP as of last Friday. When questioned about how many Garands they would be getting in this shipment CMP replied "About 5 years worth." :D

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Tweek,
I know I am about a week late on getting to this thread, but I had to remark on that beautiful Garand. I got to shot one earlier this summer and I swooned. That one is a beauty.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got my Springfield Garand from the DCM back when it was only $165. It's barrel was stamped 1/53 so it missed the wars and still had machining marks on the ways of the action so I guess I broke it in. Everywhere I took it, it gathered a crowd. My son has it now. I told him I was saving it for him and he might as well have it before his eyes went bad like mine. I liked the M14 when I was in the Army but there is something special about a Garand. Maybe because my dad had one in WWII.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Garand is my all-time favorite offhand gun. I used to shoot this rifle alot in Highpower Service Rifle competition. For me, nothing points or balances so naturally as the Garand. Not having a magazine sticking down from the stock, allowed me to shoot it like a ISU Smallbore rifle. I still have several in the safe, most are match conditioned and chambered in .308 Winchester. I also liked the fact that the Garand is one of the fastest reloading rifles on the highpower firing line. Ping! - Jam in a fresh clip, bump and run. I'd be sending rounds down range while the the M-14 guys were still fumbling with their mags to get them locked, and the AR-15 guys were giving their rifles a reach-around to get their bolts closed. I don't shoot them in matches anymore, I went to the dark side and opted for the tamer recoil of the AR. I guess I'm feeling the need to go out and shoot the old veteran again.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
690 Posts
I still have mine through the 'DCM' in the early 80's when we 'qualified', it was like $116 or shipped to the house.
As for the date on the barrel, that was when it was "rebarreled" (rebuilt for service) you'd have to check the actual serial number for 'production', I know my H&R has a early 53 date on the barrel, but it was built and used late WW II, then arsenal rebuilt.
This is still, to ME, MY "assault rifle" nothing better come along that I cannot shoot further than I can possibly "see"............

·
Registered
79 Posts
I lucked into one a couple of years ago. I like to shoot it more than any other firearm I have. Very well balanced, very accurate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those are some beautiful guns! I think the M1 is probably the best looking rifle ever made. I don't know just something about it. Got one last fall and fell in love with it.

Decided I wanted a carbine this winter and spent about 13 hours one day a few weeks ago driving and picking out 2 service grade carbines. Now I need to go back and get another M1 or 2.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts