Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the help of all the enablers here I have my first M1 Carbine. My interest actually developed out of the Blackhawk I have chambered in 30 Carbine and I thought these looked nice and would be a great range companion to the Blackhawk. Turns out there is a lot of interest and passion for these rifles and I'm starting to see why. These are flat out cool.

Mine is a reproduction made by Kahr/Auto Ordinance, model AOM130. I added the requisite sling & oiler, mag pouch and second mag and swapped out the standard sight with one that had adjustments for elevation and windage.

I don't have any experience with the originals for comparison so all I can comment on is based on general rifle stuff. The walnut stock has decent grain and color. The grain in the forend area is more interesting while the buttstock is kinda "meh". It was very dry and dull out of the box but a few coats of oil helped. Take down and reassembly is pretty simple and the modern AO folks seemed to have done a good job. Fit and finish is simple with the metal parkerized. Overall it fits to what my preconceived notions a WWII era military rifle should be.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
I really like how that came out. The whole package looks great.

I'm glad you found a rifle you can twirl whilst you practice your Color Guard routine on your boat. Bravo!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I guess I know where the next installment of the gun budget needs to go to. I would like to get a look at one of the new Inlands before I make up my mind though.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Very nice. Let us know how it fares on the range with the Blackhawk.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My love for the platform started with my father, a Vietnam Vet ( one of the first) he had a great passion for firearms ,the Garand ,M1 and the Carbine where all his favorite.... It later became mine . Now bulding my collection with modern versions with the Mini's and a Socom i have yet to add the carbine to my pack but I will !
That's a fine example you have there brother a fine one indeed . I have to say I'm a little envious . Congrats

·
Registered
760 Posts
Nice looking gun, the parkerized finish really looks impressive. A couple of years ago, my son and I drove to the CMP and purchased an M1 for my sons graduation present. Now I want to go back to purchase another one but in the 308 caliber. In fact last night my son was just saying to me he wanted to go out again with Dad to have fun with it. I do wonder how the newer Springfield M1A are like. Enjoy your new addition!!!

·
Registered
995 Posts
She looks great, very nice walnut on that one.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,414 Posts
Congrats!
Watching Saints and Soldiers makes me want to have one too.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Nice indeed!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,587 Posts
Very nice my friend, it finished out nicely. Let me know how you like it when you take it out for a spin. Like I said looks like a twin to mine, very very nice rifle and fun to shoot.:D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Very nice, congratulations and enjoy. Sportsman's Guide has some pretty good prices on ammo.
Can be habit forming, I have 4 now. :D

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Well Wave Form, It looks like you got yourself a real beauty there. Looking forward to the range report, I do know that the repo's take a bit of breaking in before they become reliable, about 100-200 rounds generally, however there are exceptions.

I'm considering putting a walnut stock on mine here thru Numerich, although they get $127.30 for a new one, and right at $70.00 for a used one in fair to good condition. I'm not sure if I want to go the used version though. My Iver Johnson so far has put over 300 rounds thru it without a hic cup, and at least 150+ were reloads.

Anyway congratulation on your new toy, so to speak. I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as that Blackhawk.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the nice comments. I was hoping to take it out for a test drive today but woke up to thunder and rain and the forecast is calling for 1 - 2" of liquid sunshine. Oh well. The indoor range is open today so I could go test for function and wring out the accuracy from 10 yards. Just seems like a waste of ammo though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Looks great. I've had a GI 1943 NPM, High Wood, M1 Carbine for some 42 yrs but it's so pristine I've not fired more than 40 rds through it. I love shooting them so a few years ago I looked into buying a shooter. As I handload and have a ton of 30 Carbine ammo I decided to get one as a plinker.

I immediately discovered that you can get a 'cheap' $600 shooter that's worn out, beat up, and generally an iffy firearm or you can get a reliable one for much, much more money. Wanting a reliable, decent carbine and not wanting to wear out a piece of history, I too opted for a brand new Auto Ordnance shooter. I was pleasantly surprised that it's significantly more accurate than my original GI version even though my NPM has a pristine barrel, bore, and chamber.

Real 1943 NPM GI Carbine on top, AO Carbine on bottom. (Note: camera angle and wide lens make the AO's butt stock portion look longer than my NPM, however, they are the same.)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great. I've had a GI 1943 NPM, High Wood, M1 Carbine for some 42 yrs but it's so pristine I've not fired more than 40 rds through it. I love shooting them so a few years ago I looked into buying a shooter. As I handload and have a ton of 30 Carbine ammo I decided to get one as a plinker.

I immediately discovered that you can get a 'cheap' $600 shooter that's worn out, beat up, and generally an iffy firearm or you can get a reliable one for much, much more money. Wanting a reliable, decent carbine and not wanting to wear out a piece of history, I too opted for a brand new Auto Ordnance shooter. I was pleasantly surprised that it's significantly more accurate than my original GI version even though my NPM has a pristine barrel, bore, and chamber.

Real 1943 NPM GI Carbine on top, AO Carbine on bottom. (Note: camera angle and wide lens make the AO's butt stock portion look longer than my NPM, however, they are the same.)

Very cool - thanks for sharing. I've been really pleased with my AO M1 so far. (I did post up a range report after shooting it in another thread.) In fact I took it out this morning just to oil the stock a bit and admire it some. I don't do that with many of my firearms so I guess I still have the warm fuzzies over this one.

:)

·
Registered
676 Posts
They have that M1 gizmoism of the cut away breech so you can see the locking lugs in action and so light it's like holding a bird after firing a Garand. Wish I had one.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Nice little rifle you got there. Only experience with one of these I have is that a buddy's uncle tried to turn one into a bull pup and sent it to him to check it out and provide feedback on. It was weird to say the least.

Yours looks like a nice modern repro! I think there's somebody out there making these in .22lr as well so if you want an even cheaper range companion....

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They have that M1 gizmoism of the cut away breech so you can see the locking lugs in action and so light it's like holding a bird after firing a Garand. Wish I had one.
Always enjoy your comments PriseDeFer. An interesting turn of phrase or a clever reference - little gems.

Nice little rifle you got there. Only experience with one of these I have is that a buddy's uncle tried to turn one into a bull pup and sent it to him to check it out and provide feedback on. It was weird to say the least.

Yours looks like a nice modern repro! I think there's somebody out there making these in .22lr as well so if you want an even cheaper range companion....
Bullpup M1......that sounds.....weird indeed. 22LR huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised as that seems to be the thing to do these days - 22LR clones of all kinds of guns. ARs, Uzi, 1911, full size revolvers, etc.

For some reason the m1 carbine is illegal in Nj but the mini 14/30 are legal.
NJ gun laws are devoid of any and all reason. Very sad.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Bullpup M1......that sounds.....weird indeed. 22LR huh? I guess I shouldn't be surprised as that seems to be the thing to do these days - 22LR clones of all kinds of guns. ARs, Uzi, 1911, full size revolvers, etc.
Yeah it was super awkward and unusable for a lefty.

Chiappa I think makes a .22 and 9mm replica!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts