Ruger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant imagine how many times more the night vision costs over the m14...
The M14 is in fact only an M1A and the night vision scope is Vietnam era. But the rifle does have the military stock and military vented fiberglass upper. The full-auto switch is attached to the stock and not the rifle and is non-functional. But it looks real.

The link shows where you can get a scope.

Military Logistics Mfg : AN/PVS-2

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That was my memory too. I mean how do you zero it? With a 1/2in rachet?
The scope itself doesn't have adjustments. Its zeroed by the use of the mount. Its easy to adjust but all in all the scope isn't super accurate. A shot past 300 yards would be difficult because the first generation scopes were not all that clear. Its like watching a TV from the 50's -very snowy and grainy.

·
Republican!!!
11,412 Posts
The M14 is in fact only an M1A and the night vision scope is Vietnam era. But the rifle does have the military stock and military vented fiberglass upper. The full-auto switch is attached to the stock and not the rifle and is non-functional. But it looks real.

The link shows where you can get a scope.

Military Logistics Mfg : AN/PVS-2
It's out of my range. But I don't understand why it's not cheaper. You can get night vision on cell phones now. Why not incorporate that technology into a red dot. It wouldn't be military grade, but I'm sure it could be done.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's out of my range. But I don't understand why it's not cheaper. You can get night vision on cell phones now. Why not incorporate that technology into a red dot. It wouldn't be military grade, but I'm sure it could be done.
Mine has been rebuilt and updated to accept AA batteries. I think the cost is because of supply and depand of a 40+ year old item. I bought mine a few years ago and only paid about $300 for it. Back when $300 would buy enough gas to drive from Washington state to Washington DC and back.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Exactly the reason you described. The "night vision", or what's marketed as such on cell phones or video cameras isn't the same thing as what real night vision is. Does it work? Sure to a degree, but it's not the same.

Then there's the fact that this is ruggedized, water proof, shock proof, etc, all in an effort to meet the mil-spec of the day.

Most currect NV weapon sights are in the neighborhood of 10k+ for passive night vision and much more for IR or hybrid systems. But again it's a whole different animal. They're pretty sophisticated.

Hand held units are much cheaper, but they're not weapon sights.

That AN/PVS-2 is probably the earliest version available that didn't require an IR light source. AN/PVS-4s are out there commercially and they are very efficient, but still relatively heavy. Probably close to 6-8lbs. But they work, have interchangeable reticles for different weapons, and there is a AA battery adapter to make powering them easy. PVS-4s were used well into the 90s and maybe into the early 2000s. They work well and hold a zero decently.

No matter how well you can see at night however, you still have to be able to effectively estimate range and wind. Both of which are a little more tricky at night.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Exactly the reason you described. The "night vision", or what's marketed as such on cell phones or video cameras isn't the same thing as what real night vision is. Does it work? Sure to a degree, but it's not the same.

Then there's the fact that this is ruggedized, water proof, shock proof, etc, all in an effort to meet the mil-spec of the day.

Most currect NV weapon sights are in the neighborhood of 10k+ for passive night vision and much more for IR or hybrid systems. But again it's a whole different animal. They're pretty sophisticated.

Hand held units are much cheaper, but they're not weapon sights.

That AN/PVS-2 is probably the earliest version available that didn't require an IR light source. AN/PVS-4s are out there commercially and they are very efficient, but still relatively heavy. Probably close to 6-8lbs. But they work, have interchangeable reticles for different weapons, and there is a AA battery adapter to make powering them easy. PVS-4s were used well into the 90s and maybe into the early 2000s. They work well and hold a zero decently.

No matter how well you can see at night however, you still have to be able to effectively estimate range and wind. Both of which are a little more tricky at night.
Bingo. Its like comparing a 2012 Toyota pickup to a rebuilt 1970 Kensworth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.