Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I couldn't resist this one when I went into my LGS, it goes perfectly with my SOCOM 16....I love a 308 semi-auto. Now I need to sell a rifle or two to fit in my next rifle purchase, a Ruger Guide gun in 416 Ruger!!! Which will go great with my 416Rem Magnum (can use the same bullets).

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
frankiestoys, if this shoots as well as I hope it does, I may replace the VLTOR stock on my SOCOM, although it shoots well enough with it. Here's my SOCOM setup! I bet a SOCOM looks good in a Archangel stock, got some pics?
Here's mine:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
frankiestoys, if this shoots as well as I hope it does, I may replace the VLTOR stock on my SOCOM, although it shoots well enough with it. Here's my SOCOM setup! I bet a SOCOM looks good in a Archangel stock, got some pics?
Here's mine:
Here you go
My SOCOM the bipod is for pic only I dont use it and I plan on installing an afg

[URL="http://[/URL]

MY Mini in an Archangel stock
This rifle has over 3500 failure free rounds through it and consistantly shoot group around 1 1/4 inches

[URL="http://[/URL]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I really like the SOCOM, I may put mine in an Archangel stock AND a Basset scope mount, they really look nice for mounting a scope on an M1A.
Never tried a mini14, might be a nice platform for a .223.

·
Premium Member
4,347 Posts
Congrats! Very cool rifle. That's the first M1A Precision I've seen other than a catalog pic. Looking forward to a range report.

IMO, M1A's are the best overall rifles on the planet. Other rifles may do some things better but the M1A's total package of accuracy, reliability, power and panache is about as good as it gets in my book. Pick the configuration of your choice and enjoy. It will quickly become your favorite rifle. Everybody I know that has spent some time with an M1A are big fans. I have two and I'm always looking for another.

If someone is really bored search the interweb and try to find negative comments about the M1/M1A/M14. You may find someone that had a problem with a particular rifle but that's the exception. Almost universally these rifles are highly praised.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Very cool rifle. Yep, 308 semi is a great rifle. Back in the day I had an M14 and had to turn it in and get an M16....sad, sad, day. Great rifle you got there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, got it to the range today. 1" to .5" groups at 100yds with iron sights and my 168gr hand loads! I can't wait to scope it and really see what it does! I am VERY happy with this rifle so far! It even shoots about 2" groups with cheap mil surp ammo!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
redriver - Yea, when I was in the corps, we were issued M16a1's, them when the Russians invaded Afghanistan in '79 they took back the M16's and gave us M14's out at 29 Palms (since the M16 was a pain in the desert sand...jammed more than usual! ), then, they took the M14's back, and gave us M16's again, to this day, I will NEVER own an AR platform! I hated the M16a1.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Beautiful Rifle! The M1A is at the top of my wish list!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, got the new glass mounted over the weekend and took the rifle out to zero it in. Didn't have a lot of luck since the rifle kept shooting the scope loose!!! So, went and purchased a Wheeler Scope mounting kit that included a torque screw driver and that fixed the problem. But I didn't get to really shoot it after getting it all tightened up, so I'll need to do that this coming weekend!
The rifle sure looked good though!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I was hoping I would find some Socom talk here.... just ordered one last night !! Been wanting one for years, finally made room (and cash enough) for one. Cant wait !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts