Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Ruger M77 .243 but it does not have a bolt.. Does anyone know where I might buy one? .....Can I find out what year the rifle was made by the Serial Number?

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I was given a Ruger M77 .243 but it does not have a bolt.. Does anyone know where I might buy one?

I checked a few of my sources with no luck, you may need to call Ruger. The up side is the .243 is a short action with a .473 bolt face. I can think of 8 other short action rifles off hand that have the same bolt face diameter, so it’s very common.

·
Registered
788 Posts
It will probably be difficult to find, as Mark said the .308 has the same bolt face, cost will be around $200. Then there's the different type of bolts (Flat, Hollow, Round), unless you have a early gun it has a Round bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys I just learned it was made in 1980 and I guess looking at pictures of others this will be a Tang Safety. Its in great shape so I will be continuing to search for one.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
I will be continuing to search for one.
I’ve never tried it but if you find another tang safety bolt for a .22-250, .220 Swift, 7-08, .260 or .308 it will probably work.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have one made in 1981 and that's the Round bolt, as Mark said open your search for those other calibers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Even if you manage to find a suitable short action, .473 bolt face replacement bolt don't assume it will automatically fit your rifle properly. The headspace could be way off, either too tight for the bolt to close or too loose leading to case separation. Have the new bolt fitted by a competent gunsmith or by Ruger.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will probably be difficult to find, as Mark said the .308 has the same bolt face, cost will be around $200. Then there's the different type of bolts (Flat, Hollow, Round), unless you have a early gun it has a Round bolt.
I found a "Ruger Stainless M77 MK2 .223 Bolt Face SHORT Action Complete Bolt USED"..... mine is a 1980 M77 (Not MK2) ,243

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
I found a "Ruger Stainless M77 MK2 .223 Bolt Face SHORT Action Complete Bolt USED"..... mine is a 1980 M77 (Not MK2) ,243
Sorry, the mk2 bolt isn’t going to work with a tang safety model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would send it back to Ruger and get a proper bolt, correctly installed and be done with it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts