Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 270 has been used and gone thru several family members hands as a first gun. This last week it has decided to completely stopped being accurate - 2 scopes, 4 boxes boxes of different factory loads and then an entire day changing and adjusting for custom hand loads.... I have decided to just build it up to something new.

A 28 Nosler has fantastic ballistics. The SAAMI for a 270 is 3.340 same as 28 Nosler. However the Bolt face for a 270 is .473 and 28 Nosler is .540.

How difficult is it to rebarrel my M77 from a 270 Win to 28 Nosler?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Rebarreling should be pretty straight forward but you will also need a new bolt and perhaps have the magazine altered. I expect it will be expensive enough to make a brand new rifle a reasonable alternative.

Rebarreling to .280 Rem or .280 Rem AI would be a lot more practical.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,036 Posts
That is a bigger job than just a re-barreling . That is a lot of material to remove from the bolt face. A gunsmith would have to advise if it is possible with a CRF action. I think that a new barrel chambered in .280 AI should be an easy swap. You will get improved performance over the .280 Rem, but much better barrel life than the overbore 28 Nosler. The .280 AI is a SAAMI spec cartridge with available factory ammo. Judicious hand loading can get you up near 7mm Mag velocity and energy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome responses. Thank you. Would the 280 AI or 280 Rem be the best alternatives for converting this to a long range gun? Looking at the entire picture I guess I am bound by the .473 bolt face....

What would be the best .473 Bolt face caliber for whitetail 4-500 Yards?

This will either turn back into a transition gun for the kids or a backup rifle for South Dakota Hunting trips. Ideally the latter.

Thanks again for the quick and awesome responses.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
Going to a 28 Nosler would be easier to convert if it was 7 Rem Mag.

Other options for a .473 bolt face could be;

.270 AI

.280 AI

6.5-284

6.5-06

.338-06

1 - 5 of 5 Posts