Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to pick up a nice used .308 M77. Before I do anything stupid, I thought I’d ask. Can I also safely shoot military 7.62 in this gun? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
The short answer is yes........There are "slight" differences between the 7.62 and the .308 but its not the same issue as the 223/556. If my memory serves me correctly, I read some where the .308 Win is loaded to higher pressures than the 7.62.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As Mark204 said, YES, totally safe.
Enjoy!
Is this the original M77 with the safety on the tang? God, I love those rifles.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,154 Posts
Mark204, Commercial 308 Win ammo produces more pressure (62k psi) than a 7.62×51mm NATO (60.2k psi) so mil-surp ammo will shoot just fine without risking high pressure.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Iowegan, isn’t that what I said? Maybe I should have used “produces” rather than “loaded to”...........

·
16,154 Posts
Mark204, You're right …. I misread your post. Sorry! I edited my post accordingly.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Iowegan, I had to go back and look at my original post..............I said to myself, “self did you flip the calibers by mistake?”

·
16,154 Posts
So I said to Mark …. Sir, (because I have respect) I'll just have to quit taking those Oxycontins with beer after supper .… too many misteaks. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts