Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an m77 all-weather in 350 Rem Mag, i'm looking for any information on using the Ruger frontier rib (located forward of the receiver) with my mk II. I'm also trying to find a source for the front rib.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Col. Cooper has a strong following.
ha ha what he said :D

I'm also thinking of cutting the barrel down to 16.5" and doing a CDI detachable mag conversion. Also trying to locate a ruger compact/frontier composite stock but that isnt going very well. I'm basically building a Ruger Gunsite Scout on steroids.

·
Registered
257 Posts
OMG, why?

My feelings exactly.

Cutting it down to 16.5" you will lucky to match the 35 Remington in performance. Of course it will have more blast and use more powder to achieve what the 35 Rem would do.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but it is your gun so have at it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My feelings exactly.

Cutting it down to 16.5" you will lucky to match the 35 Remington in performance. Of course it will have more blast and use more powder to achieve what the 35 Rem would do.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me but it is your gun so have at it.
expecting 2400 fps with IMR 4320 shooting a 200 grain spitzer, also have some plinkin loads using 12 grains of unique and a 280 grain cast LRN. I chose the 350 for its knockdown potential, recently shot a 200lb black bear at 20 yards with it. I also have a 38/357 cartridge adapter for it and use it to shoot grouse with 357 shotshells. It's pretty much my "do everything" platform, would just like it to be a little more compact in the brush.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
So... A GSR chambered in 350 rem mag...

Might be difficult to find a polymer stock that will accept modification for the CDI bottom metal.

Interesting project. I'd be surprised to find out that a laminate compact stock with a little forend relief and some holes under the buttplate would weigh much more, if not less, than a synthetic stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So... A GSR chambered in 350 rem mag...

Might be difficult to find a polymer stock that will accept modification for the CDI bottom metal.

Interesting project. I'd be surprised to find out that a laminate compact stock with a little forend relief and some holes under the buttplate would weigh much more, if not less, than a synthetic stock.
i'm looking into that right now, CDI will do the stock alterations for me regardless of the material. It really isnt all that much I believe they just widen out the magazine location. They offer it as a free install service so i can imagine it is very complicated. Ruger compact stocks in laminate are easy to come by and only weight 2.6lbs, i've also been able to locate a Champion Youth stock but am having trouble finding the weight. Would love an MPI "mountain rifle" stock but too spendy for me at $700. Probably just end up keeping the composite one i have on there and shortening the LOP.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Ruger compact stocks in laminate are easy to come by and only weight 2.6lbs,
If the Ruger Compact Laminates are only 2.6lbs, for the ~$100 it costs to get a new stock, I'd give it a roll at drilling holes under the buttplate and routing a groove under the barrel channel in the forend to cut the weight down. 7.2oz just isn't a that much. You could knock the tip off of the forend as well to shave some weight, being a laminate, it's pretty easy to modify and refinish without noticeable remnant.

Really want to cut down stock weight? Make an Ultralight Mountain Rifle stock, sans forend:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts