Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.....here in southern Michigan we can use the .44 magnum in a rifle for deer hunting....previously we were a shotgun only zone.

This year I used a Marlin 1894 with pretty good success. I killed a nice 10 pointer a week ago, and a fat doe today. I had a fixed power 3x leupold mounted on it, it was great for the thickets I hunt.

I have a Ruger M77/44 on the way. I would like a compact variable power scope for this carbine....maybe a 2-7? Any recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
The Leupold VXII 2-7 is a fine scope.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know you said a variable but I wouldn't discount a nice red dot. Goes with the 77/44 like PB&J! (Especially in the thick, close stuff)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I use a Bushnell Trophy xlt in 1.5-6x42 with a nice fat 30mm tube. This is my hog woods scope on a .30-06 carbine and I really like it. My kids use the same scope, and I also have a Nikon Monarch with the same specs. Very effective for anything from 25 to 300 yards. On my .300 win mag, I use a Leupold vx-6 in 2-12x44 with 30mm tube. Pretty much covers any type of hunting encounter in North America. It's a pricey scope though. The Bushnell is hard to beat for the price.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Searching backward I found MY OWN answer to this question a few years back. Leupold VXII 2-7. I have one of these on a 12 gauge 870 and it has been great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts