Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got on this board to find some info about changing my m77 6mm. to a 308.

dose the bolt need to be replaced if i put a new barrel in

·
Registered
63 Posts
The rim diameter is the same for both cases (0.4730"), so the bolt will not even need to be refaced.

I converted a M77 MK II from .30-06 to .358 Norma Magnum. I had to open the bolt face up a bit for the larger rim, but that was the only change to the rifle itself (other than installing a new barrel, of course).

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'd keep my nose out of this except for one thing: I had an old dog leg Model 77 with tang safety and adjustable trigger. 6mm Remington, such a wonderfully easy cartridge to load. Ferociously accurate, efficient deerslayer. May be the only rifle to combine these attributes: never fired twice, never missed, and never lost a deer. spent its life with a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x Duplex. Very few rifles feed as smoothly as that M77 6mm.

Granted, I passed up shots I would have taken with a larger cartridge, but that would not have included the .308 Winchester. Unless your barrel is inaccurate or just plain shot out, I would be powerfully inclined to keep it as is.

The heaviest whitetail officially weighed in Vermont was killed by Napoleon Verge in 1958. Verge's rifle was an 1898 Mauser with Douglas barrel, chambered for .243 Winchester. The fully-dressed buck tipped the Fairbanks scales at 300 pounds----four days after it was shot.

The old dog leg M77 was the best configuration for the 6mm I ever shot.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my thinking is the ease of finding ammo in the comming revolution. 6mm. may not be easy to find. i have other guns but i like the ease of handleing and confidence i have in this wepon

·
Registered
63 Posts
my thinking is the ease of finding ammo in the comming revolution. 6mm. may not be easy to find. i have other guns but i like the ease of handleing and confidence i have in this wepon
Yup. You should have at least one rifle chambered in .308 Win, another in .223 Rem, and handguns in 9 mm, .45 acp, and .40 S&W.

All those calibers are used by the US military and federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies. Thus, there will always be ammo in those calibers.

.30-06 is another caliber that there is a ton of mil-surp floating around for.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts