Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for this to arrive at my FFL.

Anybody have one of these? Opinions.

I have a new Nikon 1-4x20 Monarch 3 with German #4 waiting for it.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I have the same rifle and I'm proud of it - nicest rifle I own. I haven't had it long and I haven't shot it much so I can't share much personal experience with you about it. I've only shot it with the muzzle brake and the recoil is reasonable for a pretty large caliber rifle. My dream is to use it for elk or moose or bear - if I ever get the actual opportunity to have any of those hunting experiences.

I topped mine with a Leupold VX-3 1.5 - 5X20mm with an illuminated German 4 dot reticle. Very nice glass but not intended for long range shooting. I actually had African plains game in mind, but a safari is yet another dream. I can afford the rifle (the easy part), the guided hunt in distant lands not so much......

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just got the newer version...it is so much nicer than the older. Both of mine are 375 Ruger. The new one has 2 crossbolts, relief around the back of the tang to the wood stock (so it won't chip like my old one), the black end cap at the end of the wood, a barrel band and rounded screw into the front sling swivel (it comes with extra swivel that you can use if you'd like), and the metal is polished blue and not the matte finish. The wood on my new one is nicer as well. Over-all a very fine rifle. Not sure if it is coincidence or not, but the new one doesn't scratch (gouge) up the brass coming out of the magazine like my old one did. My new rifle has an excellent trigger...clean break with no creap measured at exactly 5#. Typically I like it a bit lighter, but with a heavier rifle (weight and recoil) this is just fine with me. Buying a $3 Wolff spring anyways to see how much that lightens it. Mine weighs 9# exactly with a Leupold 2-7x 33mm scope on it. Going to get the low #3 scope ring soon and it'll be just right.

There are only two things that I would change about this rifle. 1) tI should come with a nice Decelerator recoil pad. I am not going to change it, but it would be a nice added feature. 2) And I wish that it didn't have the dumb muzzle break. I immediately put on the thread protector and will leave it that way. At first I considered getting it machined off and re-crowned, but I don't want to spend for it. I can live with the way that it looks I guess. I don't know why Ruger puts this atrocity on the ends of their rifles...they are ugly and nobody wants it. Imagine that thing going off to you in the woods or in the veld...damaged eardrums for life. Stop doing it...they can be made less expensively (pass the savings onto the customer).

I did have to take a file to the bottom edge of the front of the bolt to round off the sharp edge, put a slight radius on it. When putting three down and trying to close the bolt on a 4th round, that sharp edge really tries to dig into the cartridge brass at the top of the stack. This took me 5 minutes with a small file, so it was no big deal.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Those muzzle brakes are not well received by guides and the professional hunters. BLAST

Not having a .375 before the .375 Ruger arrived I built a .375-.338.

I described my .375 project in the Boyd's stock thread. It is fun to shoot but as expected kicks.

I installed a prefit Decel pad on my rifle but refinished the stock which would detract for factory originality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I received the rifle and mounted the scope. I will do a range report when I get there.
The trigger is nice as is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts