Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So hey I'm new here and I have qa question. I have a Ruger m77 MK II 25-06 bolt action. It's about 10 years old. I have recently had an increasingly hard time clambering a round. Pushing the bolt forward is no problem but pushing the bolt down is getting very difficult. I clean it every time I fire it. The big problem is the last time I went to the range it discharged when I forced the bolt down on the third cartridge. This worries me. Has anyone had a problem like this or know what could cause this? Or should I just take it to an armorer?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
From your description, you want to call Ruger or your local gunsmith. They will check head space, firing spring protrusion and chamber size to see what is wrong, then fix it.

The gun should never fire closing on a round. It should not be hard to close. I'm assuming you're using good factory ammo, if it's reloads you need to fix your reloading process.

Jeff

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Definitely not enough information to troubleshoot.

Is it difficult to close the bolt on an empty chamber, or only on a loaded chamber? Are you shooting reloads, or factory loads? If factory loads, have you tried a different brand of ammo? If handloads, have you tried some factory loads?

Frankly, these details don't make sense - hard closing bolts are usually caused by insufficient headspace, which can be caused by improper cartridge resizing by a reloader, or by a dirty chamber.

An accidental discharge caused by bolt closure is typically due to insufficient spring strength, worn or damaged sear engagement, or a jammed firing pin. If your FP is sticking, or the sear is slipping under closure. That would tend to happen whether the chamber is loaded or not.

Definitely need a bit more info.

OR... Best option, take it to a gunsmith and have them check the headspace. If it has a headspace problem that's not caused by fouling, then it would have had a problem since day one. If it's fouling, the smith will be able to point that out as well.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
Very bad - it might fire "out of battery" meaning go off when not completely locked up.

Not enough info.

As far as ammo goes - insufficient head space, case body diameter excessive, case length excessive causing mouth of case to jam in throat, bullets seated too far out, primers not seated properly.

I would sort of suspect that a ammo problem exists. It is a 10 year old rifle and has probably performed adequately. Take the bolt out and with the bolt/firing pin cocked take a look and see of the tip of the firing pin is well inside of the bolt face. Stuff happens. For some unknown and weird reason the tip of the cocking piece or notch where the cocking piece rests on has become so worn the tip of the firing pin sticks out (protrudes) from the bolt face.

Possibly the trigger/sear released the firing pin/striker without pulling the trigger when the round was being forced into the chamber - touchy trigger.

In any event, because the above is probably difficult to figure out, go to a good GunSmith before shooting it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts