Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in getting an M77 Hawkeye in .223. Has anyone had the throat changed on theirs so that that the chamber is like a 5.56 NATO?

I searched for some chamber dimensions:

Does the throat/leade change reach out to the rifling?

Is this a complicated process? I am not going to try this myself, I am wondering if it takes a special gun smith to do this.

If this sounds like it might mess up the accuracy and it obviously mess with the warranty then I do not think I want to go down this road.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought a Compact model and intend to do the same thing although I want a faster twist to be able to shoot MK262 MOD1 and Hornady 75gr TAP ammo so I'm looking to re-barrel.

The ruger .223 Hawkeye with it's 1:9 twist will stabilize both M193 and M855.

A 1:9 twist "should", "theoretically", be able to stabilize 70gr + bullets but I've seen some AR15's with 1:9 twist that wouldn't.

If you limit your bullet weight to 69gr or less, reaming the chamber to 5.56 you should be GTG.

If you want to shoot anything heavier, you might want to consider a faster twist barrel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

Is the barrel chrome lined? Would changing the leade cause issues with accuracy?
I realize that velocity will be reduced but that's okay with me. It wouldn't be much.

·
Banned
367 Posts
ZZYZKS,

I suppose it depends upon WHAT reamer your gun was built with.
Mine doesn't have my "Wheatherby style" Savage throat, but is IS NOT short.
ALSO, WHO'S reamer?? Your posted PTG's prints, but search for another company, just about everyone out there has a slightly DIFFERENT set of specs for either set of chambers.......

Between me, a brother, and buddy; we have a set of Savage's and a Remmy with 9-twists that ALL stabilize 77gr. SMK's; so don't get hung-up on "what ya heard" about bullet weights. It is about RPM and bullet length, weight is almost irrelevant to the issue.

No Ruger bolt action barrel is Chrome lined, that I am aware of.
If you CHANGE anything, then things are different. Will it effect accuracy? There is no answer, unless you try it. Same with Velocity.

The longer throat in the Nato Chamber came about because EARLY-on in the development, it was apparent that the "claims" about penetration couldn't be met with the "approved" powders at the time. SOoooooo, they knew that a change for heavier projectiles(don't forget tracers also) would be needed, and the velocity would have to not decrease(from seating deeper). How do you fix that? Seat the bullets longer. How do you do that? Spec a longer throat.
If you honestly want to learn the history of the cartridge, go here:
The Gun Zone -- A 5.56 X 45mm "Timeline" Prologue
There you can read the historical truth, and ignore the politics and Mall Ninja conspiracies about what may or may not have happened.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to be able to shoot which every I can get, .223 or 5.56 NATO, without any worries. That's all.

·
Registered
483 Posts
You're likely to be able to fire either 223 Remington or the vast majority of 5.56x45 with the gun as delivered by Ruger. If you encounter a problem, it's a quick & simple throating reamer job to lengthen the leade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.