Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the Mark 2s with the funky plastic stocks. I'm guessing I bought the rifle in the mid-90s. I'm not overly mechanically inclined and prefer a drop in stock. I'm not against taking the stock to my gunsmith. I think I would prefer a gray laminated stock. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Boyd's in South Dakots advertises two sizes of Thumbhole stocks for the Ruger Model 77...a Long action, and a short-action. for about $100.

I have have just tried and failed to fit both of those models to my Model 77/44 MKII. The holes just don't line up and the mag well on the thumbhole is way to narrow for the 44 magnum rotary mag of the ruger. It would take major surgery, not just some filing or trimming to make it work.

I have finally, after a month of trying 3 different stocks, got Boyd's to admit the MKII stock won't do the 77/44. They have issued me a credit and return shipping labels.

Look at their template on this description and see if it will fit your gun. The stock looks great. I wish it fit my 77/44.

FT RUGER 77 MKII SHORT ACTION FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL PEPPER LAMINATE (FINISHED)

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I'd go woth Boyds as well. I'm ordering a Savage 24 stock from them today, actually. I hear they're a good company to deal with, I will have firsthand experience soon!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Boyd's BUT you have to order the mag well and trigger guard from Midway or where ever..Your boat paddle trigger guard is a moulded piece right?

wPm

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Boyd's BUT you have to order the mag well and trigger guard from Midway or where ever..Your boat paddle trigger guard is a moulded piece right?

wPm
I do not think this is true! I just ordered a Boyd's stock and my Mark II dropped right in. Total install time about 3 mins, mostly looking for a screw driver. I'm stoked as I shoot my right handed action, left handed and they were selling such a stock for $65. Looks great but I think I will have it glass beded plus a new recoil pad installed.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
I own an armful of M77 MKII's.

I tried a Boyd's stock but as a matter of taste did not like it.

A friend who was a gunsmith had a stock duplicating carving machine so he roughed out a thumbhole stock using a Remington 700 SA pattern minus any internal inletting but with a recoil pad.

After a week of careful work my rifle was inletted and another week was spent in final finishing. I was real pleased. I then used the first stock as a pattern for the second stock and cut down a week of inletting work to about 5 hours.

Inletting the MKII bottom metal is a real chore. Getting a good adjustment and alignment for the floor plate and trigger guard takes some time.

Never ordered one, but there is an outfit in California, Richard's Microfit Stocks, that has a list of closeouts that can apparently be shipped without waiting. Some of their stock designs look OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.