Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new M77 Mark 2 standerd in 270 Win that has an accuracy like Iv'e never seen before. This gun will group the first 6 to 8 shots at from 1 1/2 inches to 2 1\2 inches and the next 3 to 4 shots will group down about 3\4 of an inch. All shots are fired within a few minutes of each other from a rest at 50 yards. Everyone Iv'e talked to in my neck of the woods is stumped. I spoke to Ruger about this matter just to be told that this is to be expected. If anyone has any sugjestions fire away.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Welcome to the forum. First, eliminate the obvious such as scope rings not tight, action screws not tight or possibly even too tight. Make sure it is not you or your scope. Try different brands of ammo. After trying all this if it still will not shoot, there are a few things you can do and see if it helps. Try slipping a buisness card under the forearm between the forearm and the barrel about an inch or so back. Many times this will help, and if it does you can put a small dab of glass bedding there. You can glass bed the action as well. If it shoots that bad at 50 yards, how does it shoot at 100? Many guns will drop the shots when they get hot, the Mini 14 is really bad about doing that.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Is your complaint the group size or the group shifting?

Fireing all of those shots within a few minutes of each other may be the main problem.
I'd fire one shot, wait a full 5 minutes, fire a 2nd, and so on so you are firing from a cool barrel and see if that makes a difference. Limit it to a 3-shot group. Could be a bedding problem as it heats up from firing rapidly. Consistent same gun position in the rest when firing is vital.

Are you using irons or a scope? As gunman pointed out, you need to also try to eleminate the scope and mounts as a potential problem. Loose scope rings or a questionable scope can be a headache. Clean the heck out of the barrel and also switch the ammo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Welcome to the forum. First, eliminate the obvious such as scope rings not tight, action screws not tight or possibly even too tight. Make sure it is not you or your scope. Try different brands of ammo. After trying all this if it still will not shoot, there are a few things you can do and see if it helps. Try slipping a buisness card under the forearm between the forearm and the barrel about an inch or so back. Many times this will help, and if it does you can put a small dab of glass bedding there. You can glass bed the action as well. If it shoots that bad at 50 yards, how does it shoot at 100? Many guns will drop the shots when they get hot, the Mini 14 is really bad about doing that.
Thanks for the welcome.
I believe to have eliminated the obvious as far as all mounting screws and the scope. When it comes to ammo I have used some factory loads, however I enjoy rolling my own in accordance with all safty rules and I might add that I have been rolling my own for the better part of 20 years with no accidents. The forearm tip would move out of the box so I bedded it to fit the barrel contour with no pressure but no movement.
The opinions cocerning barrel floating all vary so ther seems to be no right answer. It's accuracy at 100 yards is about the same. Imagine at 300 what it would be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Is your complaint the group size or the group shifting?

Fireing all of those shots within a few minutes of each other may be the main problem.
I'd fire one shot, wait a full 5 minutes, fire a 2nd, and so on so you are firing from a cool barrel and see if that makes a difference. Limit it to a 3-shot group. Could be a bedding problem as it heats up from firing rapidly. Consistent same gun position in the rest when firing is vital.

Are you using irons or a scope? As gunman pointed out, you need to also try to eleminate the scope and mounts as a potential problem. Loose scope rings or a questionable scope can be a headache. Clean the heck out of the barrel and also switch the ammo.
Thanks for your reply.
The answer to your first ? is both. It just does'nt make sence for a rifle to group so poorly at first then tighten up. I am going to change my shooting tactics in the future to allow for barrel cooldown between shots.
The scope I installed is a Mueller 3x9x40 with the illuminated red dot recticle and for what its worth in my opinion the recticle in these scopes is realy slick for low light conditions or dark colored tagets. Check um out.

All my friends with center fire sporting rifles have no problem putting 3 shots in a 3\4 inch spot at 50 yards cold out of the box.

My friends all seem to think that the receiver is moving in it's bedding. I'll need time to have the rifle bedded and see what happens.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
May take another wild stab at it.

don't know much about mueller scopes but could it be a parallax problem shooting at 50 yds on high magnification?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

May take another wild stab at it.

don't know much about mueller scopes but could it be a parallax problem shooting at 50 yds on high magnification?
I don't believe it's a parallax issue. I've shot at different magnifications with the same results.
One thing that has served me well in life is that when things don't make sence fall back to the simplist of ideas. In this case we are dealing with wood and metal. This is why my vote goes to the wood. As soon as I can get the stock glass bedded we shall see if this rifle shoots the way it should. I will return with the results as soon as the are avalible.

·
Banned
700 Posts
The two things that came to mind with me is the factory loads and the wood to metal engagement. It sounds as though it's pinching and is worse when hot. I think you can cool the barrel with rubbing alcohol on a towel to keep the temp more consistent from shot to shot. Corrosion protection afterwards though!
Before any thing else I recommend giving the bore a GOOD cleaning including de-coppering with a product like Sweet's or Wipe Out. You need a good "base" so you can go forward with possible remedies.
Your "rollyurown" loads might cure this as well. My 22-250 was extremely temperamental until I found the "happy zone" on bullet seating. It literally went from 2.5" groups to covering a dime @100yds. The original groups were very inconsistent as well. Two shots within an inch then one totally wowee off in the weeds. Frustrating!
Until then I was convinced my gun was gunnysack.
I bought an OAL gauge(Stoney Point)and got the depth right.

Varmints no longer snicker when I enter the killing fields....there's a new found respect!

SD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts