Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought a NIB M77 MKII for our son back around the first of the year. He lives in ND so it's never been fired but we hope to get that done in the next few days while he and his clan are here for a visit. I've taken it apart, checked it out and it looks like it's ready to go. Trigger is fair for a stocker and I put a 3-9 Leupold on it.

About the only question I have regards the barrel to forend fit and stiffness. Most all of my free floated rifles have pretty stiff forends and I never "feel" the stock move unless I want to make it move. When I grab the forend on this one I can feel it move. There's plenty of barrel clearance right up to where it lightly seats on the "rest' part of the forend but it just seems strange.

Does anyone know if this is normal.

My other MKII's are Varmint and -22 versions.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not an all weather, it's wood, blued.

I took it down again and put a piece of electrical tape in the barrel channel on top of the forend hump. That cleared up the wiggle and jiggle. Action screws, back to front, are tight, not so tight, tightest. We'll see what it does with and without the tape.

If it were going to be mine instead of my son's I'd have already bedded the action and worked the forend but it is his. I'd rather he start with it fresh and new, (well, except for the E tape). :)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
twodogs,
Yes your right it is hsi gun boy I am with you that would bugg me and have to bed the gun for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by Snuffy

twodogs,
Yes your right it is his gun boy I am with you that would bugg me and have to bed the gun for sure.
Well, we took it out today. 1st shot @ 25 yards was dead nuts for windage and 2" low. After 4 or 5 shots, moving out to about 80 yards, everything started to settle in. We, (he), put 6 of the last 10 into a 2" Midway orange circle at a lasered 100 yds. and we called it quits.

I never fired a shot although he urged me to take a few. He knows the tape is under the barrel and has pretty much decided to leave it that way until and unless his accuracy starts to drift.

This thing is pure factory and he's happier than a clam and so are we.:)

FWIW we were shooting 140 & 150 gr Nosler BT's and 150 Sierra GK's with 63 gr. of I-4831.

Great starters as I see it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know how to edit these but I got all this way without mentioning it's a 7MM RM.

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:Originally posted by Ron Honner

Man, two dogs, you have a lot of icons. I think that is great! You are truly a Ruger lover! Bravo!
It's the boss's fault, (R Nettles). He keeps adding icons and I keep finding them. I was going to do some updating this morning because the latest 77 MKII went home with my son and then I found out my 77-22's now have their own icon. I started to add that icon, (took about an hour because I kept losing others), and now I've also found a Bisley icon.

I'm still editing.

I've only got two guns that have disappointed me. One is a .257 Weatherby MKV DeLuxe that has not delivered the accuracy I expected and the other is a .308 Winchester Model 70 FWT, same problem. All my Rugers have been great straight out of the box.

May be another reason for all those icons.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.