Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was out yesterday elk hunting with my Ruger M77 Mark II (left handed variant) and attempted to chamber one of my father's plastic tip reloads that he had loaned me. It seemed to fit at first, but I couldn't fully close my bolt to chamber the round. Upon further inspection, the reloads where about 1/8 of an inch longer than my factory loads. Luckily I had those factory loads on me, or else I wouldn't have shot the 4X4 whitetail buck I saw later that day. Anyone else have this problem with the same (or a similar) Ruger firearm?

·
Registered
911 Posts
Most likely, your father's reloads are seated "longer" to fit a specific rifle. Not unusual.
When you tried to chamber the reload in your M77, the bullet was either pushed deeper in the case (possibly compressing the powder charge) or the bullet was jammed into the rifling, or both. Either scenario could cause excessive pressure and damage/injury. Its a good thing you opted not to fire it. Stick with factory ammo. There is nothing wrong with your rifle.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
Often reloads are tailored to a specific gun, and likely this is the case with your father's reloads. I have had similar problems before

Most likely, your father's reloads are seated "longer" to fit a specific rifle. Not unusual.
When you tried to chamber the reload in your M77, the bullet was either pushed deeper in the case (possibly compressing the powder charge) or the bullet was jammed into the rifling, or both. Either scenario could cause excessive pressure and damage/injury. Its a good thing you opted not to fire it. Stick with factory ammo. There is nothing wrong with your rifle.
This.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.