Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting my rifles ready for gun deer season. Noticed that my front sling swivel stud on a M77 MkII (walnut stock) is loose. If I simply tighten down it is tight at an angle, so looks like I will need to take the stock off and re-set it.

Although I've had the stock off before, I don't recall specifically, but I'm assuming its a machine screw with a washer and a nut on the back side - am I correct about that?

Any tips for keeping this from loosening up again? Was wondering if anyone has used lock-tite for this specific purpose?

When I put the stock back on, should I anticipate that the point of impact might change? I won't have time to go back to the range this week. I can take a different rifle if I need to.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
Hunter257, I believe it’s a wood screw/stud, (not 100% though). I’d back it all the way out, stick a tooth pick in the hole, snap it off flush and reinstall.........i used this trick often as a carpenter.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Most walnut (wood) stocks have a simple wood screw attachment in the butt and have a recessed nut / screw attachment on the fore end. The nut is accessed from the barrel channel side and fits into a recessed hole. The nut's fit is supposed to be tight in the hole but if it has loosened then it needs to be epoxied back in place in the hole so it wont turn when you tighten up the sling swivel stud .
Take the stock off and see whats going on with the hole/nut part .
Be careful when epoxying the nut back in place, do not get epoxy in the threads .
Use a properly fitting gunsmith type screwdriver on the gun screws .
Gary

·
Registered
257 Posts
Walnut stocked Ruger M77 MkII’s use a splined, round, threaded ferrule pressed into the stock as an anchor for the swivel stud.

A guy could use a longer screw and press out the ferrule, pressing it back in at the correct angle, but it may need to be epoxied back into place. You could also put a dab of thread locker on the swivel stud to help hold it in place, although this isn’t as secure as screwing down firm against the stock.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts