Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine and I both have Rugers with the tang safety and the new Mark II. We have kinda decided we like the old tang safety better. I was wondering what the rest of you all liked better.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Tang safety.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I prefer the tang safety. Its right there under my thumb.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I have never owned the tang safety 77, but I do like the idea of the safety being right there under your thumb.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I only have one Ruger bolt action and it is the 77. Has a tang saftey. I kinda like it! ;)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I have the "newer" bolt 3 position (M70 Type)safety... I like its function, safe/locked bolt, load/unload and fire...

I have not shot the tang safety version M77... But my Winchester Model 94 30-30 has one, and I like it too. Both are better, in my opinion, than the "cross bolt" safety, on the trigger guard...

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,339 Posts
I prefer the Tang safety for location and convenience but the 3-position is way better as an actual safety. With the 3-position, you have a "shoot" position, a "safety on, bolt unlocked" position for unloading, and a "full safe" position that locks the sear and the bolt.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tang, all the way. I like mine. It is a 77R DZ in .270 Win, made in 1989. It has killed a bunch of game. Best shot was a wounded Mule Deer buck (friend wounded) at 400 yards (I am tall and pace with long steps that equal very close to 1 yard) with 1 shot to the lungs. Very nice gun.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like both but I lean toward the Tangsafety, I just think the older tangsafety Rugers are better made than the new MKII's. I currently have 7 MKII's and 4 Tang Safetys. But I do have to say with either a trigger job or a new Timney in the MkII's they shoot very accurate.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Tang where I use to work we had to carry the MkII good rfiles but had that winchester type safety, didn't care for it at all.
Hey jengel I am sure that is not a factory stock, where did ya get that stock at. Its beatiful

·
Registered
197 Posts
I like both. The tang on my A-bolt can't be beat for field use while looking through the scope, but I like the secure lock up of the three position on my MKII while carrying over hill and dale.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts