Ruger Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking of getting a M77 in 06 and stainless (I will be storing it in a case with my AR and 1911, part of my 'holy war' preparedness kit), and also looking at the Tikkas. Whatever I get, I want a synthetic stock and the stainless finish, and will have enough scope to hit hard at 300 yards.

What are the real differences? I am leaning toward the Tikka, but Chuck Hawk apparently is not a big fan. I have no idea who he is, but his name is all over all the gun stuff on the net. Anyone have any experience with a Tikka? I like Ruger pistols because they are so overbuilt and affordable, but I have no real opinions on long guns. I don't like buying Rugers new because of their politically correct leanings.

I guess my top three for the moment are
M77
Mossberg 4x4
Tikka

Any input? And you can keep it to yourself, I know that buying $1500+ in guns solely to keep them in a case for when war erupts in this country makes me totally insane. I'm looking for reports on the weapons in question.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Tikka---never owned one but have shot them. Bolt is smooth as glass in operation. Very good, crisp, light trigger from the factory on the one i tried. Excellent balance. Did not care for the detachable plastic magazine and 3 rd capacity. Thought is was flimsey. Was told that exra mags are in the $50.00 range. The rifle was accurate.

Mossberg 4x4--don't know a thing about them. looks interesting though and priced good.

Ruger--The new LC trigger helps but still not as nice as the factory Tikka. 4 rd capacity with a floorplate so nothing to loose or misplace there. Bar none the strongest scope mounting system offered as standard on a production rifle that i know of. This is the rifle that i trust.

I think that if the going gets tough, the ruger will not let you down.

The one thing that i disagree with about your three choices in stainless offered today is the lack of iron sights as a back-up for the scope. The scope will be the weakest part of the bolt action. If your scope fails, the weapon is basicly out of action unless you have a spare and time/ammo/location to sight a new scope in. With irons at least you still have a viable weapon instead of dead weight/ammo. My rifles are Ruger 77RSI's and the 1st thing i did on them was to sight them in at 100 yds with the iron sights. Did have a scope one time fog up while daughter was hunting. Instead of calling it a day, i just removed the scope and let her use the irons. But--to each his own as you may already have contingency plans for such.

Blued guns can work if stored properly such as in a system such as the old bianchi "blue bag". This is a special plastic storage bag that is treated with some chemicals to protect a weapon in long term storage. Large diameter pvc pipe can also be used for long term storage with a good desicant put in with the guns and then capped. Hide it then or bury it or whatever--it will be dry on the inside and moisture can't get in. Hacksaw needed to open it.

Come to think of it, may be wrong, but i think ruger did offer a 3006 with irons in stainless years back--maybe.

A good source for information can be found at www.findarticles.com
just type in tikka for the search and you will get some articles.

Of course you already mentioned chuck hawks at www.chuckhawks.com
under his rifle section he has a bunch of reviews on different guns.
A bit openionated, but still a good read.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have a m77 06. I would be tempted with the Savage rifles. I have a 223 that is dog ugly (stock) but is my varment rifle. In Idaho, it shot minute of magpie and chucks didn't stand a chance. just a thought. greg :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't own an '06 caliber, so I can't speak to that other than to say that the '06 is a proven performer. My M77MKII Compact isn't available in '06 caliber as I think it's limited to short action calibers. I sure do love the accuracy & performance of my .260Rem caliber in the M77MKII Compact model, recoil is minimumal, accuracy is great, I can cover a 3 shot 100 meter group with a dime & still give you 4/10's of a cent back in change.[8D]
My M77MKII wears a Burris FullField II 3-9x40 rifle scope. Currently this is my only Bolt Action Rifle, if I were to whine & complain about anything on my M77MKII my only complaint would be the lack of a clip or box style magazine, but that is a minor issue to me or I never would have selected the model I did. I love how the rifle carries, handles & shoots with reliable, repeatable performance.
--Ken

·
Registered
36 Posts
I own a Tikka T3 Lite Hunter. It has the smoothest out of box action and is the most accurate out of the box rifle I have ever shot.It is also the lightest rifle(6 1/4lbs) I own.The only downside is that it is a very "plastic" rifle. I am sure this is how Beretta/Tikka is able to sell these guns for cheaper than the other gun manufacturers rifles.
I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
333 Posts
RP

Tikka makes a nice rifle and I can not say anything negative about it. The Mossberg is another story, I have heard mixed reviews on these rifles and don't think it is a good choice. You should look at Savage Arms and their Stevens line. Savage makes some of the most accurate rifles out of the box and they have plenty of options. Their Stevens line is a no nonsence rifle set at a good price. The Rugers are always a good choice And can recomand them any time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.