Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like more and more stuff is made in China. The tires on my 5th wheel need replacing. They are Goodyear 16" load range G tires so I called around to some places that also handle truck tires. As I recall the last time I bought them they cost around $1,200 all in for 4. I was quoted Westlake tires @ $210 each all in. I went on line and they are imported from Canada. I'm thinking wow the prices really dropped. I called another place and was quoted a price $173.36 all in so I asked him the brand, it's Sailun. I heard that and decided to get into it deeper. Westlakes are made in China and imported to Canada, Sailuns are also made in China. My exact tires in Westlake's were recalled in previous years and Sailun's have had recalls on other sizes. Both for too thin an inner liner which resulted in blow outs. I did further research and found the Goodyear's that are on the camper are made in Ackron, Ohio. I called the larger store back and asked him to find a set of the Goodyear's and quote me. They are $378 each all in so I told him to order them. The last thing I want is to be sitting by the side of the road blaming myself for getting Chinese made tires that just blew out and beat up one of the slide outs with the flopping tread.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Nothing made in china is of high quality, or at least I haven't found anything yet.

My father in law is a quality control engineer, who operates his own company, contracted to one of the big Oil companies, he purchased all typical grades of chinese steel and had his own independent tests done and not one specimen achieved their advertised ratings.

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it. It's one thing to get a piece of clothing or something that's similar but something you need to rely on the quality for safety is totally different.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It is so hard to buy anything that is not made in china. Even Craftsman tools are made in china. The thing that drives me nuts is when I find American Flags made in china. It's just wrong on every level.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
It is so hard to buy anything that is not made in china. Even Craftsman tools are made in china. The thing that drives me nuts is when I find American Flags made in china. It's just wrong on every level.
Yeh, I have a problem with that too. I think they should make that illegal. I'm sick to death of all the China crap. :mad:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have a LED flashlight from an NRA membership renewal. The box clearly stated "Handmade in China". I knew it was quality after seeing that.

One of the LEDs stopped lighting, but it came back after a bit of percussive maintenance. :D

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
Since we are umpteen trillion dollars in debt due to the unchecked spending of our government and since China owns the lion's share of that debt, you might as well get used to it. Whether you know it or not, our new masters are China, unless Putin pushes them out!

Reactions: 2ndGen

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Since we are umpteen trillion dollars in debt due to the unchecked spending of our government and since China owns the lion's share of that debt, you might as well get used to it. Whether you know it or not, our new masters are China, unless Putin pushes them out!
The borrower is slave to the lender.

·
Super Moderator
22,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You really have to watch out (stay away from) for the food that's being imported. They have a history of toxins.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
My troubles were over when I purchased my first used NISSAN, I don't need to carry extra oil or fluids with me any longer, & spend very little on maintenance.
Depending on which model you have, your Nissan, a Japanese car company, could've been built in Tennessee, Mississippi, Mexico or Japan. Some of the new Rogues are now being built in Korea!

The first three digits of the Vin can tell you where it was built.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You really have to watch out (stay away from) for the food that's being imported. They have a history of toxins.
That is the truth. This is especially true when it comes to seafood and any type of fish. I hate government regulation as much as anyone, but I am glad that the FDA doesn't allow the aquaculture industry to just dump anything into the ponds. There are many chemicals and antibiotics that cannot be used in U.S. produced food, but are commonly found in Chinese products shipped here.

I am not sure if this is still the case, but a couple of years ago the second largest trade deficit the U.S. had was in seafood. Oil was number one and seafood number two. You really have to watch your labels on seafood to find the country of origin.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Keep in mind all this Chinese "junk" is imported here by American businesses who have contracted with Chinese manufacturing to make these products with English labels, boxes, packaging, etc. It's not like the Chinese are sneaking it all into the US and dumping it in aisles at Wal-Mart.

It's like we used to say back when I worked in the corporate world - "Nothing beats quality like a good low price." Most consumers are willing to buy the low cost leader every time and that creates what we have now - most consumer goods are cheap junk.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
Yeh, I have a problem with that too. I think they should make that illegal. I'm sick to death of all the China crap. :mad:
Amen to that guitslo!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,258 Posts
I wonder how much different things would be if Nixon didn't open up that Chinese can of worms.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Terry yes you have to really look around to find tires or anything else not made in China!!! My 5th wheel Toyhauler also has 16 inch 12 ply tires on it 235x85R 16's these were just put on my trailer by the prior owner. They might also be imported!!! My recent purchase of my Kershaw folding hunting knife I paid extra to buy one made in the USA a Ken Onion designed knife! Cost me $79.00 ouch at Cabela's you get what you pay for. Yet some stuff coming out of Chinz is quality stuff. Try and buy a pair of shoes not made in China!!!

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
We need to bring production back to the US and with quality. Some things I can tolerate from China. Parts I depend upon? Not so tolerable. I want quality!

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
It's not just China. My Columbia Parka is made in Vietnam. The t-shirt form the VA Art Festival is made in Honduras! I could go on and on. Seems like the only thing made in this country are illegal babies.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
It seems like more and more stuff is made in China. The tires on my 5th wheel need replacing. They are Goodyear 16" load range G tires so I called around to some places that also handle truck tires. As I recall the last time I bought them they cost around $1,200 all in for 4. I was quoted Westlake tires @ $210 each all in. I went on line and they are imported from Canada. I'm thinking wow the prices really dropped. I called another place and was quoted a price $173.36 all in so I asked him the brand, it's Sailun. I heard that and decided to get into it deeper. Westlakes are made in China and imported to Canada, Sailuns are also made in China. My exact tires in Westlake's were recalled in previous years and Sailun's have had recalls on other sizes. Both for too thin an inner liner which resulted in blow outs. I did further research and found the Goodyear's that are on the camper are made in Ackron, Ohio. I called the larger store back and asked him to find a set of the Goodyear's and quote me. They are $378 each all in so I told him to order them. The last thing I want is to be sitting by the side of the road blaming myself for getting Chinese made tires that just blew out and beat up one of the slide outs with the flopping tread.
Where is the LIKE! button? :D

1 - 20 of 72 Posts