Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been taking my oldest daughter to the range for some time and she always gravitated towards the full size Glock 17 9mm as it didn't have much recoil and was easy to shoot, but had trouble racking the slide. She hated any small frame striker fired pistols regardless of caliber. This last trip to the range she fell in love with Sp101 357 & 327 federal, firing 38 specials and 327 H&R mags, full house loads she found very unpleasant in both guns. The She tried the the low recoil federal 327 and we had a winner. Now I needed to find a gun that was not mine, & that is pretty enough for a 21 year old girl to call her own. My LGS had an old 1st generation SP101 3" with plastic grip inserts and windage adjustable blade sight. It was well shot, & trigger was really crappy. I had turned it down for purchase for the last 9 months as it just seemed too expensive. Well I guess it just had to go this week and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Brought it home knowing there was no way Dependent #1 was going to like this well worn revolver. I Started at 10 am and finished at 4 PM. The gun was completely taken apart including all the parts in the trigger assembly. I polished all the machining marks off the frame, I sanded all the scuffs and swirls off the frame, every component hand polished, new wolf springs, 8Lb return, 10Lb hammer, Hammer and trigger shims, full body makeover hand polishing, and a set of nice wood inserts I had in the safe. To the range I went and she is a dream to shoot, mild recoil,& accurate. I added a couple of speed strips and off to Dependents 1's place. she fell in love with how purdy and shiny it is. I hate spending money on things I can do myself, and I know the labor for a gunsmith to do what was done to this revolver would be very expensive & overkill. I am glad I could deliver the goods at a price that didn't break the bank and I have a happy well armed daughter.

Attachments

·
Pony Soldier
8,552 Posts
Nice work Dad!
We seem to do the little extras for our daughters!

Greg

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,033 Posts
Wow! It's gorgeous. I'll bet your daughter is thrilled. Is the blue color the reflection of the shirt you're wearing? The external polishing is great. Springs, shims, and the polished internals should provide a sweet action. That is a revolver anyone would be proud to own. Well done getting her something she likes and is comfortable with.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Really Perceptive

Did not give it any thought but I am wearing an aqua teal shirt that is reflecting in the gun I thought the pictures did not due justice to the mirror finish but yes it is the shirt that is reflecting in the steal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great job!

Sp101 is awesome, I've shot the lcr in .327 and it didn't seem no worse .38p+. The the lighter frames have some peep to them.

·
One Star
9,865 Posts
That awesome congrats!

·
Premium Member
14,129 Posts
This dad is a keeper!
Nice work and great looking gun for your daughter.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,873 Posts
You have a happy well armed daughter with a beautiful Ruger now. Most important she has a very good father and will have many memories of this. Good job on the 327. Very good effort on your behalf. Good thread.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Nice. Got the same early 3" 327 and love it. H&R Mags are pleasant to shoot. 327 Mag, especially in 100 grain are pretty stout.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Way to GO, Dad !!! . . . Win ! - Win !! - WIN !!! She likes it ! - She's comfortable with it !! & It'll definitely get the job done - if/when she needs it !!!

My EDC is a 3" .327 fed mag, which I consider my mini-.357 pocket gun, but only w/o the recoil !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts