Ruger Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick up a lightly used old P89 , first time experience with one and find it pretty darn good pistol built like a tank , the only thing I found really negative about it is the amount of force needed to push mag release forward to drop the magazine out . Um not weak by no means but, it is a bitch to push it hard enough to let the mag drop, with out the button leaving deep indentation in my thumb . it has ambi buttons and if a change my grip and push both forward it then takes would I would call normal pressure to release the mag. mag button forward travel does not seem to be the problem it does move forward , just the amount of pressure applied is way to much . I searched the internet and found one complaint like this , the guy took it to a gunsmith and he filed down the catch , now the magazines just fall out when the gun is bumped I think he had to put in new mag release parts because the gunsmith didn't understand the problem . I also looked at the parts book that came with it . It shows the mag release buttons and a flat spring bar that the ambi buttons pivot on . I have not taken the grips off to see whats inside yet . thought I would get some input here first .. Thanks

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Buy a spare one (or three) from Numrich, file it a bit more narrow from side to side in a gentle hour glass curve, sand and polish the edges to eliminate any sharp cuts (grab a magnifying glass for this work), then stick it in your pistol and see how it feels. Worst case scenario, you always have the original to put back in.

Adjusting the latches themselves isn't the solution - you want a secure bite on the mag. If you want to reduce button press resistance, reduce the spring. It's that easy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts