Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a mag release made that you pull back on instead of pushing forward? At least one that installs easily. I did find one, can't remember the name now, but you had to do some mods to install it-tap threads somewhere.
I've seen the ones that wrap around the trigger guard and that stick out from the trigger guard but they look like an accident waiting to happen-unintentional mag release.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's the only one I found. I'm not wild about having to drill and tap my trigger assembly. Do you have one of these and is installation simpler than it looks?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yeah, that's the only one I found. I'm not wild about having to drill and tap my trigger assembly. Do you have one of these and is installation simpler than it looks?
No- I don't have one (yet). I answered your question because I visited the site a few hours before your question showed up. In my own 1022 rebuild, I used an extra long extended mag release lever that extends all the way underneath the trigger guard. I like the fact that I have to think about releasing the mag and accidentally doing it is unlikely. However, a lever that releases by pulling rearward would seem more likely to accidentally release from slightly nudging it on a shooting bench. I may still buy the Rimfire lever anyway, and drilling and tapping doesn't bother me at all. I have to drill and tap the receiver to use their 5MOA Picatinny scope rail that I just bought (they use 8-32 mounting screws for a more secure mount of the rail).

All of the anodized colors of this company's accessories strike me as a little strange though. Go ahead, buy one of their pull levers (in pink). I dare ya.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's tempting,but....

You make a good point about accidental release. I certainly wouldn't want it too long or it would be easy to release at the wrong time.
Out of curiosity, they say a #129 drill bit is needed. What size is that? I've never heard of drill bits listed that way. All I know is 3/16, 1/4, 5/32, etc.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Numbered drill sizes are used by machinists, and they are much more precise and made in smaller size increments than fractional drill sizes. Most tap & die sets come with a list of proper pilot drill sizes to use with taps. A #29 drill bit is the right size for an 8-32 tap, and there are numbered drill sizes for all tap sizes. Any tool shop that sells taps and dies will also carry numbered drill bits.

I don't know for sure that a "pull" type mag release lever will be more prone to accidental release, but it seems that way to me. On the other hand, it seems like using one finger to pull the lever might easily let the mag just fall right out into that one hand. If that is actually the case, it would justify the purchase and installation of the pull release (at least to me).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks for the info.
I think as long as it wasn't too long it would be fine. It seems more natural to me to just pull it toward the trigger guard to release the mag. I may end up getting one later ifi don't find something else, which I doubt though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts