Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard many people online say to remove the magazine disconnect from the SR45 pistol, What is it suppose to do, cause the last firearm I owned with a mag disconnect it wouldn't allow me to dry fire the pistol and would render the trigger useless unless you had the mag in it. Well this new SR45 I just got I can remove the mag and dry fire all I want and it will still allow me to fire the pistol and check trigger reset without the mag installed. Is this how this mag disconnect suppose to work?

Thanks for the replies!

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
Those who disagree with Massod Ayoob please be patient. I would not remove the mag safety on any firearm used for self defense as to do so will be made to look like you are evil to make a firearm less safe. I know it is not and so do you the jury will not.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Please don't dry fire it anymore with the magazine removed. You are literally smashing the striker into the mag disconnector when you do. This could cause peening of the striker which could lead to broken parts or at least weak primer strikes.

Read the manual.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Please don't dry fire it anymore with the magazine removed. You are literally smashing the striker into the mag disconnector when you do. This could cause peening of the striker which could lead to broken parts or at least weak primer strikes.

Read the manual.
So if you removed it this issue would go away with the dry firing without a mag, correct? Didn't have a manual just downloaded it, got to go to my gun shop where I picked it up and ask "Where's the Manual"

·
Registered
97 Posts
So if you removed it this issue would go away with the dry firing without a mag, correct? Didn't have a manual just downloaded it, got to go to my gun shop where I picked it up and ask "Where's the Manual"
Hi, the removal is actually fairly easy.

You have to be comfortable taking apart the slide.

This video shows the process well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgjoudyxXA

Doc

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hi, the removal is actually fairly easy.

You have to be comfortable taking apart the slide.

This video shows the process well.

Doc
The video posted is good but it applies only to the original versions of the SR centerfire pistols.

The removal of the striker is different on those newer models that do not have the small hole on the black striker cover on the back of the slide.

There are some posts in this section with pictures that show how to do it.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I removed all five of mine and three for others. I want a pistol, not a useless relic. bumped the mag release getting out of my computer chair and didn't catch it for a while. that made the weapon useless until I caught it. also it eliminated light primer strikes on two SR9's.
with all due respect for the pro's and their recommendation, I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, or worse, not be able to protect one of my 21 grandchildren.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So your all saying even if this pistol performed correctly at the range to still remove the Magazine disconnect anyway. I am just wondering that's all if this is still a wise move. I have thought about making a video on this newer model since I figured it out myself really on how to remove the back plate. I will try and make one here soon, since I have the newer model. Thanks for the information all!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, the thing is if for whatever the reason, the magazine disengages, you at least have one shot to get off rather than dead in the water so to speak.

The magazine disconnect safety does not positively affect performance at all, and I am not sure of the claim, I have not noticed it myself, but I have heard a some say that it performs better without it.

Doc

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Here how I figured it out!

I discovered that my SR 45 didn't have the whole like the older models had to take off the striker cover. So I decided to make a video and post it here on on Youtube on how to remove the striker cover cause I looked everywhere online and couldn't find a single video on how to do it. So here is my video, hope it give everyone with the new models the info needed to clean out the striker channel. Thanks!
I did decide after shooting to put it back into the pistol, I didn't see any differences in performance with it installed or not, just the fact I could fire the last round chambered or single load the pistol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_fvKEyZ6BI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Those who disagree with Massod Ayoob please be patient. I would not remove the mag safety on any firearm used for self defense as to do so will be made to look like you are evil to make a firearm less safe. I know it is not and so do you the jury will not.
I'm reading Massod's book right now. I have to agree with this as well. Massod has been an expert witness on dozen's (maybe hundreds?) of courtroom trials. His opinion carries a lot of weight. My SR9c will be a carry weapon, so I'm leaving the mag safety in place.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts