Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm having an issue with one of my 10/22s. With a mag fully inserted, I am able to wiggle it back and forth about 1/16", in which it often gets stuck in the rearward position. It also is able to stick in this rearward position upon initial insertion. With my other 10/22s, I am only able to wiggle the seated mags about 1/32", and they always return to the forward position from the spring tension on the magazine latch plunger. The mag sticking in the rearward position is sometimes causing the bolt to hang up in its rearward position during cycling, resulting in failures to feed. When the bolt hangs up, simply tapping up or forward on the bottom of the mag allows it to move into the forward position, freeing the bolt and allowing it to move forward into battery, chambering the round.

This is not a mag issue as it occurs with all of my factory 10rd mags, all of which do not exhibit the problem with my other two rifles. The problem rifle is a newer model with a polymer trigger group, factory extended mag release, and a VQ auto bolt release.

Any help diagnosing this problem is greatly appreciated.

ETA: I've tried swapping the following parts, and with the stock removed, with no avail: mag release, mag latch plunger and spring, bolt release, entire trigger group.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Had one just like you are describing that I purchased new in June of 2012. I called Ruger and they e-mailed a shipping tag. When I got the rifle back the repair order stated replaced trigger hsng and bolt. The mag is now tight in all directions, up, down, back, and frontward. Most of the other guys that I know of that have returned their rifles for this are tellin me ruger replaced the trigger hsng. I wish I knew what the issue is with some of the hsngs, maybe someone will chime in here that has knnowledge of the issue. Give Ruger a call and send it in as they are good folks to work with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Had one just like you are describing that I purchased new in June of 2012. I called Ruger and they e-mailed a shipping tag. When I got the rifle back the repair order stated replaced trigger hsng and bolt. The mag is now tight in all directions, up, down, back, and frontward. Most of the other guys that I know of that have returned their rifles for this are tellin me ruger replaced the trigger hsng. I wish I knew what the issue is with some of the hsngs, maybe someone will chime in here that has knnowledge of the issue. Give Ruger a call and send it in as they are good folks to work with.
I edited my OP to note that the problem persists with a different trigger group.

Sending it back would be a last resort as I have had a Brimstone trigger job done. The weird thing is I have about 1500 rds thru the rifle, but didn't start experiencing the feeding issue until the last 100 rds or so.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Just a thought - what is the condition of the mag catch plunger? Is it worn or dirty? I'm not sure but if it does not move fully forward fully or freely it may cause the problem (?).

Not fully forward may give room for slop and not freely moving might reduce the force holding the mag in place.

Not sure, but a thought.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought - what is the condition of the mag catch plunger? Is it worn or dirty? I'm not sure but if it does not move fully forward fully or freely it may cause the problem (?).

Not fully forward may give room for slop and not freely moving might reduce the force holding the mag in place.

Not sure, but a thought.
Like I said, I've tried swapping the mag plunger and spring, among other parts.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Playing with it some more, I discovered that the entire trigger group from the problem rifle causes the mag to stick in another rifle, making me think it's an issue with the trigger group. However, a trigger group from another rifle installed in the problem rifle also causes the mag to stick, making one believe it's an issue with the receiver. Now I'm really scratching my head.

Yesterday I was able to replicate the malfunction of the bolt hanging up by hand cycling the bolt while pushing up and back on the inserted mag. However, today, I am unable to do the same. I guess for now I will wait and see how it functions, but I am still curious as to what is causing the mag to stick, and if perhaps its not uncommon?

One last thing I forgot to mention was that I recently changed from a factory synthetic stock to a factory wood stock. I noticed that the mag well on the synthetic stock is narrower, perhaps just enough to prevent the mag from moving enough to cause the malfunction, explaining why I didn't have the problem with the synthetic stock.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just to provide a visual, the problem rifle is on the right. Notice the larger gap between the rear of the mag and the front of the magwell (trigger housing). The second picture shows the mag stuck in the rearward position.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I am thinking it is an accumulation of errors...

Have you analyzed the FORWARD portion of the receiver of the problem gun and made sure that the hole is not too tight...maybe some Remington dry-lube on it...or even a light coat of oil to see if making the front portion more slippery helps it seat...

The other thing is now that you have identified one difference with the width of the mag well between stocks...for quick test fully seat the mag then in it's natural and correct position measure the gaps on the sides with a feeler's gauge...then take masking tape (blue is best) and shim the gaps to make it centered and snug...

My guess is lubrication will help but that making it snug will not help...

My reason for saying that is on my Walnut stock the gap is huge...and the mags always go right in and stay there perfectly...

Possibly some "break-in" from wear on the receiver and lube would do the trick...

Not sure if you want to do this or not but you could also shim the plunger spring making it stiffer...since in the end applying more force with your finger to "assist" the plunger spring is what fully seats the mags...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts