Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a ProMag 15-round clip for my 345 yesterday at a gun show. I plan to go to the range in the next couple of days and test it out. A moment ago I got to thinking about whether it's a bad idea to have a clip loaded like that. Should they be loaded only when you are about to use them, and not keep the spring compressed like that for a period of time? Thanks!

Amistad
'tension can be a useful thing'

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Amistad, I don't think it hurts a magazine to keep it full all the time. I do on my CCW and it hasn't hurt it and I've heard where they have been loaded for years and not hurt. I don't think you have to worry about hurting it by keeping it full. Occasionally cleaning it is more important.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
KP97DC is correct. I have heard of magazines that have been loaded since WW1 that where put into a 1911 and they shot and fed perfectly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Then loaded to the brim she'll stay, sirs! Many thanks!

Amistad
'likes 'em full and ready to go!'

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
From the search I've conducted on the topic, the wear occurs from the spring "action", flexing during operation. And a "static" spring, as in a loaded magazine, is not wearing...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by RNettles

From the search I've conducted on the topic, the wear occurs from the spring "action", flexing during operation. And a "static" spring, as in a loaded magazine, is not wearing...
A good point, RNettles. I guess I was concerned that the spring might try to "train itself" to stay compressed if it were to be squeezed down for a length of time...

Amistad

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
From what I've read, the spring "stores" the energy of you putting bullets in the magazine. Then as space becomes availible at the top, the spring "releases" one rounds worth of energy. This is where part of the wear comes from...

In addition... for what it's worth...
These are clips...

And these are magazines...:)

I hope this help you out...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

In addition... for what it's worth...
These are clips...
---images snipped---
And these are magazines...:)
Friend, just chalk my error up to a beginner's ignorance. I appreciate the correction.

Amistad
'photos tell the tale'

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Hey buddy, it seems like yesterday when I was "educated" about clips...

Then there was the class on bullets and cartridges...

And after all, that's why we all are here, sharing education... either getting or giving.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Hey buddy, it seems like yesterday when I was "educated" about clips...

Then there was the class on bullets and cartridges...

And after all, that's why we all are here, sharing education... either getting or giving.
Thats why I just call them "those things that hold the bullets"! :D

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
One of Mr. Nettles pet peeves surfaces again! And I was waiting to see if he would point it out! Now what about calling a Blackhawk a pistol? Or a P-gun an 'automatic'?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I am just trying to bring our "newbies" up to speed, before some wise guys on another board gets hold of them....:D

I think we are much more understanding of someone new to guns here, and I am basing that statement on what I have seen on other boards.

We want our members to shine in the fire arms community... and it would seem a friendly correction would be better received than a "hazing"...

I am sure glad people pointed these types of common mistakes out to me...[8D]

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I have to admit to the 'clips' thing also. Although I know better, old habits are hard to break.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think I told this story before,[:eek:)] BUT, I'm gonna' tell it again!
Several years ago, in a place far, far away, I put 2 loaded High Standard 22 Mags away. I looked & looked for them, but couldn't find them anywhere. Then, about 2 years or so ago, I opened a ammo can that I had stored some reloading manuals in & there they were. :D Both in perfect shape, both still fully loaded & they both still work like they were brand new. I guess the storage time to be at least 10 years.[:0] So, from my personal experience, keeping a mag loaded will not hurt it at all. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I have to admit to the 'clips' thing also. Although I know better, old habits are hard to break.
I do the same thing myself at times. Not a big thing for me personally. I change the magazine in my carry gun every few months or so because I usually keep it loaded with a bit better grade of ammo than I use for practice but there's been times when unable to shoot regularly they've been kept loaded for a year or more with no problems.
Baker

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
quote:Originally posted by Amistad

I bought a ProMag 15-round clip for my 345 yesterday at a gun show. I plan to go to the range in the next couple of days and test it out.
Just got back from the range. I cranked two boxes of Blazer Brass 230 gr. FMJ downrange through my P345. Friends, I have a confession to make -- I have fallen in love with this gun! I've gotten to be a fairly decent shot with it now, and the more I shoot it, the more I enjoy it!

NOTE: The 15-round ProMag magazine was a complete bust. I was not able to get even one round to feed and chamber from that mag. One of my attempts hung a round up so that it took me a while to get it cleared. I fiddled with it a while, and finally gave up and went back to the 8-round mags that came with the gun. Fortunately, the vendor that I bought the mag from told me that I could return it if I wasn't happy, and you can be sure that I will do so...

Amistad
'P345's rule! :D'

·
Registered
78 Posts
The picture of the "clips" are stripper clips. Either stripper clips or magazines may be called clips. Clips is just a general term for any item used to hold anything in place including rounds of amunition in a streamline loadable fashion. The correct terms should be stripper slips, moon clips, box clips or magazine clips so that any item holding rounds of ammunition in place for feeding rounds into the firearm are clips. I know alot of people will disagree with me but there are so many versions of "clips" now adays to just generalize and say that when it has a spring we cant call it a clip. So lets just call them spring retention clips and leave out the whole magazine shinanegans so we can make life easier and call them clips.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
We have previously belaboured these points and were in agreement to simply call them "bullet thingys" or "bullet thangys", depending upon where one resides....

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Ruger, and most people that make and sell them, call them magazines, and if you were to order one, it would be called a "magazine". I guess this is an industry "de facto" term. If you ordered a "clip", you may get anything from a "bobby pin" to a "c-ring clip" to a "cartridge spring clip"... I think I'll stick with the term "Cartridge Magazine", since the rest of the planet knows what I mean...:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts