Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought the pistol, the mags would stick while shooting. The rounds would stick down in the mag, and wouldn't pop up without some coaxing. After 1000 rounds or so, they have gotten batter, but still not normal. It is also very difficult to load more than 8 rounds.

Should I get ruger to send me some more mags or is there something I can do about it

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm sure you can find help here, but first it will help us if you tell us what model pistol you are talking about. Are the mags original or aftermarket? If aftermarket, do you know what brand they are? Some more info will allow all of us to help you with this problem.

For example: I have a Standard pistol. I bought an after market mag and had nothing but problems with it. The rounds stuck in the mag and would not rise to the top even before I placed the mag in the gun. I ended up sending the mag back for a refund. There are others on the forum who have had similar problems with mags for the MK series, and they have found a way to fix them.

So please come back with some more info so we can help you.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, thought I included in the title that it was a 22/45 mkIII target model. They are the mags that came with the pistol.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried google for advice, but none of the keywords I searched for brought up anything remotely close to the issue in having.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find this hilarious. I did some more searching and whenever I replaced the word "magazine" with "clip", I had one link related to my issue. Well, it was hilarious, now I just feel sad.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thought I'd explain what I did in case others want to know. The floorplate of the mag is easily removed by sticking a small drill bit into the bottom to push the little pin, then slide the plate off. Once I had access to the internals, it was just a matter of building several sanding sticks and just smoothing everything up. The internals were incredibly rough and there was a lot of sticky junk inside of the mag. I haven't shot it yet, but I don't need to to know that this worked as loading the mag is now a dream. Easy job to do

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thought I'd explain what I did in case others want to know. The floorplate of the mag is easily removed by sticking a small drill bit into the bottom to push the little pin, then slide the plate off. Once I had access to the internals, it was just a matter of building several sanding sticks and just smoothing everything up. The internals were incredibly rough and there was a lot of sticky junk inside of the mag. I haven't shot it yet, but I don't need to to know that this worked as loading the mag is now a dream. Easy job to do
Thanks, I was thinking that very thing. Right now mine work great unloaded, in that the follower moves up and down freely, but the follower binds up with cartridges. I figured there was sharp edges on the inside that just needed smoothing out.

I'll give it a try today.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have had a similar problem with factory mags for my 22/45.

I took my eight mags apart and used a short .22 cleaning rod with solvent to clean mine out. I was surprised at the amount of what appeared to be "factory" gunk that came out. Reassembled the mags and that solved the problem with mine for many rounds.

I shoot a brand of ammo that is coated with a lubricant and I find that my mags need to be cleaned every 5,000 rounds or so to get the left over lubricant out of the mags.

I notice that my mags slow down depending on round count, lubricated/non-lubricated ammo, and temperature. Lubricant in the mags can get sticky during colder weather.

Other than cleaning my mags, I have done nothing else to them. I have noted that mine actually get smoother with age-unlike me!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I used some sandpaper to get rid of the razor sharp edges- smoothed and buffed the slot. Then I used a cleaning rod and patches with some Hopps 9 to get all the crud out of the inside of the mag bodies (and there was a lot). I then used a clean dry patch to get the Hopps out.

My two stock Ruger mags are feeding the dummy rounds 100%.

My two SLAM mags are behaving badly- the dummy rounds are coming up nose down and the bolt is sliding right past them without pulling them out of the mag.

Nevertheless, the followers are working smoothly so that issue is better.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
+1 above.

Mags need to be looked after just like the rest of the gun.

Another think people don't really think about is the fact they are a consumable. They wear out and you replace them.

I keep all my pistol mags clean and dry but my larger rifle mags that are steel like my military M1A mags get a coat of Barrier Coat inside them.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Certainly not what you would expect on a new factory mag from Ruger. Unacceptable, in fact. Have you told them about the problem? Maybe they will replace them for you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just tell them there was a problem and you had to take time & effort to rectify their problem. They will probably send you a few freebie mags for your troubles.
(It's worth a shot anyway)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts