Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering sending my redhawk to magnaport for a 4 port magnaport as well as an action job. According to magnaport's website, the action job includes "Action Jobs - Check headspace, cylinder gap, smooth internal parts to remove creep, lighten trigger pull, timing work, recut forcing cone, and number chambers."
The cost for the action job is $155 and the porting is $125.
Does anyone have any experience with magnaport and these processes? How was the outcome.

Thanks,
Bruce

·
Registered
69 Posts
i had a T/C barrel that was ported with 2 round holes from T/C. 8" barrel than 2" choke threaded on for shot loads. i shot at a deer in low light with a high flash load once, the flash also blasts vertical out the holes like a couple of blow torch's. they did reduce muzzle flip in that light barrel tho. it was almost dark out, end of the day deal. i couldnt see for several minutes. LOL kinda like a flash bang going off, bought me a 7.5" redhawk after that.ruger made a shallow V rear blade with gold dot front sight that i put on it. didnt care for the orange ramp thing it came with. only cost like $5 at the time, works great for me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mag-na-Port EDM muzzle vents are a personal thing. Why I do not subscribe:
1) Burn front sight.
2) By holding muzzle down, helps drive recoil into wrist and elbow.
3) Don't like the blast.
4) Don't like the look.

For those who like:
1) Reduced muzzle whip.
2) Like the look.

If you get the action job, ask for any replaced Ruger parts to be returned.

Larry Kelly, who founded Mag-na-Port, discovered that by using the Electron Discharge Machining process, he cut vent holes in the barrel without leaving a burr in the bore. I shot revolvers Mag-na-Ported and tuned under Larry Kelly in competition; they certainly worked.

For one who wants the porting, consider a front sight ears, such as found on with M1 Garand and PPC rib sights manufactured by Bo-Mar and Ron Power.
David Bradshaw

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have heard that your neighbors at the range will not like you much since it sends the blast out to the side and increases the felt concussion as well as noise they experience.
I imagine the noise you hear would be increased as well.
Again this is just what I have heard but not experienced first hand.
Might be a point of consideration for you if you shoot at a range..
Darrell

·
Ed Mann
411 Posts
FWIW, I had a Charter Arms .44 Bulldog 3" magnaported. It reduced muzzle flip so much that I had to remove 3/16" to 1/4" from the front sight to get back on a 55 gallon drum at 7 yards. Before I trimmed the sight, I was hitting the ground about 1/2 way to the target. Very effective. Less noticeable effect on a 10½" SBH. I also had a 20ga Red Label ported, but that system is different.

I consider the two trapezoidal ports inobtrusive, but I've never had it done on a stainless gun. I've also never "burned" a front sight. Might be an issue with one of the "glow-in-the-dark" sights.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Another thing to consider is the reduced resale price. Most collectors and buyers won't pay extra or even buy a ported gun. There are very few people that want a ported gun so resale is limited too.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
I had a 2 1/2 S&W 19 .357 Magnaported. The workmanship was fantastic. It surely reduced the muzzle climb, and felt recoil. The accuracy was not affected. I never really shot it at night, but at an indoor range, I did observe some blast effect venting from the cut-outs.
Well worth the mod if you are not likely to shoot MULTIPLE rounds at night........

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another thing to consider is the reduced resale price. Most collectors and buyers won't pay extra or even buy a ported gun. There are very few people that want a ported gun so resale is limited too.
Absolutely true. Some ranges will not allow them on the firing line when anyone else is present. Those that do, don't for long, if someone isn't observant of their etiquette. They don't make friends with shooters on the line, except those in the business of selling hearing aids. :eek:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Had a 7 1/2 inch Redhawk in 44 mag that I had the Magnaport done on it. I personally think it made a huge improvement in that gun for me. Loved it.
Onthe other hand, I have a 3 in 66 S+W taht I had done anticipating the same happy result. BAD MOVE. Not only did I devalue a less than common gun, I hate the fact it obliterates the orange ramp front sight after about 2 rounds. Muzzle blast is terrible. Live and learn I suppose.
What barrel length and caliber is the Redhawk you have?
TJ

·
Registered
226 Posts
I shot a ported 357 once. I will never shoot one again. It was so loud even with ear protection. I would never use something like that hunting because you will not be able to hear anything for the next two days. I would not use it at the range because it would be punishing to everyone's ears.

·
Registered
49 Posts
had my wife's sbh magnaported (2 traps).

both of us noted reduced muzzle lift.

will do my 5.5" redhawk next as a result of that success.

having access to a same gun/caliber before and after is really the only way to know for yourself.

it worked for us.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I have a Super Blackhawk that the previous owner sent to Magnaport .
The action job is nice. The muzzle vents I do not like. Shooting it at daybreak produces an annoying flash and then there is all the extra noise

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,322 Posts
For a daylight hunting only gun, yes.

For a gun carried for self defense, NO!!!

I have long barrel hunting only guns that are ported or have muzzle brakes. A self-defense ported gun produces very hot gas and a flash of light that will night blind you for a time at best or could severly burn you if you are in a hand to hand fight.

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
I had one of the last Magnaport Big Bore Snubbies they made on the S&W 25-5 I can say the work was phenomenal, the bluing looked like it was wet, but shooting that thing at anything besides arms length straight out in front of you was a no no.

On the other hand, I have a Mossberg 500A with a 20" pro-ported barrel and the heavier the load the better it likes it! As fast as you can shoot it the muzzle never lifts more than 3/4" but again, isn't the purpose of porting meant for a fast recovery of the target more than keeping the muzzle out of the clouds? That would seem to benefit only the rapid fire of the weapon more than a single shot of a hunting arm.

Inside a home or a building where you want to carry a scattergun on your hip instead of your shoulder, it could seriously jeopardize your well being if you fired it from that position.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I'm sold on Mag-Na-Port and all of my handguns are thus ported save my 1911. The auto porting is costly and with the slide movement I don't know if you can tell if you're getting any benefit from the porting. Revolvers? Yes indeed and the most needed was my Ruger Alaskan. In fact with the exception of my 5" 1911, the longest barrel I have is 3" so porting has helped on everything. Smithy.

·
Banned
1,197 Posts
Smithy it works on the 1911 as well as the revolvers. Gas vents off through the ports before it even comes out of battery.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Yeah DougGuy I do realize that and have actually had a couple of auto's ported by them. Like I said though, with all the parts movement, it was harder for me to notice any reduction in recoil or muzzle jump with an auto. (my way of talking myself out of a more expensive porting job). Also, against their suggestions I had them port a Walther PPK/S. The deal with that type of pistol vs. say a 1911 in on the Walther the hot gases pass through and around the action spring. I forget how many rounds it took, but as I was warned I eventually cut the action spring into. Smithy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a Magnaported Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag once. It had a 7 3/8 barrel and it did have reduced recoil compared to others that I shot.

What wasn't so nice was that it often blew the orange plastic out of the front sight, flashed like crazy, and was much, much louder than stock. I'd get some crazy looks at the range.

The noise was the reason I traded it. Hunting with it really damaged my ears. They didn't have the electronic ear muffs back then and my ears would ring for a week after I shot a deer with that gun.

I honestly think the tinnitus I have today was primarily from shooting that .44

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't have a clue about how much damage I've done to my hearing I've done over the years of hunting without hearing protection. It seemed counterproductive to be trying to listen to game with ear muffs on. Then I shot my Ruger 7mm Remington magnum at an antelope in Wyoming. WOW! That actually hurt and since I missed with my first shot, I was totally unable to get off a second shot being bent over clutching my ears. I quickly figured out a simple trick and have done it ever since. When I go hunting (ported or not) I have a pair of ear muffs around my neck. When a shot comes up, the muffs go on and then I can take a shot plus any follow up shots that may be necessary. Cheap protection for such a valuable sense. When I shoot at the range I put ear plugs in and then a pair of ear muffs over the plugs. At the range you can afford to be a little more protected than in the field. Smithy.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I think the OP may be a OHW.
Hasn't contributed to his thread and last seen January 19.
Wonder if he went ahead and did it..... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts