Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you guys probably know, when Ruger reintroduced the Bearcat it came with a .22 Magnum cylinder as well as the regular .22 cylinder. They did not put too many out before they quit making the .22 Mag. cylinder, and now they are outrageously expensive collectors items. I heard it was due to excess pressure. Now, the Bearcat is not a big gun, but it is a heck of a lot bigger than the NAA Mini Revolver, and that gun can be had in .22 Magnum. This is just me rambling, it is 4 in the morning and it has been a long night at work, but why in the world would the .22 Magnum have too much pressure to work in the Bearcat, but not the dinky little NAA Mini Revolver???? Am I missing something here, or was Ruger just being a little anal retentive on this?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think there was MORE to it , than "just pressures".......
timing, lockwork, old/new parts. A bunch of stuff and to just 'alleviate' the whole thing, cause confusion, possible swap around any and all parts, new or old. They took the "easy road" out, but there are still a bunch of them "out there" most are 'put away' from the looks of it. as I have talked with FEW or none, that ever shot or are going to shoot their "convertibles"........
The factory was taking the 'spare mag cylinders back, giving out vouchers or such and NOT returning them. makes we kinda wish we had hung onto all the ones we did have and sold off except for the one we put in my wifes collection and it wasn't even the "lowest" number either...........

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I just got my answer on sixgunner.com from Carl. You guys probably know him better as Flatgate on the other Ruger forum. I reprint it here for your further knowledge:

I have three of those convertible New Bearcats in my collection. It's my understanding the reason Ruger recalled the
.22 Magnum cylinders and offered a $40 rebate was due to "shooter abuse".

Fanning the revolver while firing the jacketed magnum cartridge resulted in some rounds being discharged prior to the
cylinder reaching the battery position. This bit of wisdom resulted in some of the bullets striking the forcing cone off center
and the resulting "splatter" caused some minor injuries to the shooters and bystanders.

So, idiots ruined a good thing. Approximately 800 to 1000 convertibles had been shipped before the production was haulted so research could be undertaken. During the initial recall period it's been estimated that about half to two thirds of the mag cylinders made their way back to the Factory. (I find that statistic unbelievable from a collectors' standpoint.) So, the remaining convertible Bearcats became an instant "rare gun" for the Ruger Collector to acquire.

Carl

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have five new pristine manuals for "Bearcat Convertibles" that I purchased from Ruger during that time. I purchased a supply of manuals from Ruger for my shop as dealers could not get manuals free, especially in bulk. The general public could get a free manual. Now Ruger wants consumers to download the manuals. I wonder how many of the "convertible" manuals are out there?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ron, I usually have a few all the time at the shows. Have many left over from our "shop" days. For the most part, I get like $2.00 each for them, I know they go for more on some of the auction sites, but I don't do them, save them for my customers and other collectors.
Kept having one guy buy a few from me each weekend and found out he was peddling them on e-bay, well now he gets NO MORE from me anyway...

I still have a bunch of them magnum marked Bearcat manuals, cannot remember the last time I had any call for them or even sold one.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts