Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have any experience using a Magnum Research 45-70 .... my favorite pistol is a vintage Redhawk 44 mag so I have no urgent need for another high large caliber magnum revolver .... my interest stems from being very interested in purchasing a Henry 45-70 rifle and am toying with the idea of having a matching caliber revolver .... I would prefer a double action but am not aware of one that is commerically available ....

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't have any experience with Magum Research 45/70, but I do have experience with the 45/70 cartridge. I use mild loads in my trapdoor carbine and heavy loads in my Marlin 1895 XLR and Hornady 325 gr ammo. I find it difficult to comfortably shoot 20 rounds through my Marlin. The recoil is much greater than my 300 Wby Mag. I would not want to fire those rounds out of a pistol. I would prefer either a 44 Mag or 45 LC. If you are planning on getting a handgun in 45/70, I would start out with cowboy loads and work your way up from there. With modern bullets, even solids, you can effective stop dangerous animals.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't have any experience with Magum Research 45/70, but I do have experience with the 45/70 cartridge. I use mild loads in my trapdoor carbine and heavy loads in my Marlin 1895 XLR and Hornady 325 gr ammo. I find it difficult to comfortably shoot 20 rounds through my Marlin. The recoil is much greater than my 300 Wby Mag. I would not want to fire those rounds out of a pistol. I would prefer either a 44 Mag or 45 LC. If you are planning on getting a handgun in 45/70, I would start out with cowboy loads and work your way up from there. With modern bullets, even solids, you can effective stop dangerous animals.

recoil more than a 300 WBY mag is very interesting .... my favorite hunting rifle is a vintage Remington 700 BDL chambered in 300 WBY .... we had it Mag-na-ported, installed the best (at that time) Pacmayer recoil pad, and a Mercury recoil suppressor installed .... that combo reduced the recoil to that less than an M77 308 .... when we take it to the range for an evening's shooting we usually fire 100 or more hot loaded 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips .... based on your assessment, if we end up buying a Henry 45-70, we will probably have it modified in much the same manner .... YouTube videos demonstrate that the Magnum Research 45/70 has a pretty stiff recoil .... as a hunting revolver, that might be OK .... I don't ever recall feeling the recoil or hearing the muzzle blast when firing at big game .... as a paper puncher, you'd certainly have to use very light loads

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you already have a 44 Mag lever gun?
back in the 60's I went through a single ammo for hunting rifle and pistol phase .... when I hunted black bear with my grandfather I carried a 44 Ruger semi auto and a Blackhawk .... I've always regretted selling the rifle but was really happy with replacing the Blackhawk with a Redhawk (which we still have) .... age and health limitations have pretty much ended my hunting days .... however, one of the few advantages of growing older is we have finally reached a point of being able to add to our firearms collection .... it may not make sense to some but over the next year of so buying a set of 3 Henry rifles (357, 44 mag, and 45-70) with an associated revolver is an exciting prospect ....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Boy, sounds like we think alike. I used to hog hunt here in S FL with a Ruger 44 carbine and Blackhawk. Regret selling both... Was also in the 60s...

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boy, sounds like we think alike. I used to hog hunt here in S FL with a Ruger 44 carbine and Blackhawk. Regret selling both... Was also in the 60s...
my wife would say that if that is the case, shame on you ..:eek:.. back then when we were hunting on the north slope of Mt Mitchell, 30 yards was a long shot where nobody hunted with a scoped rifle .... I don't recall ever firing the 44 carbine at a distance close to 50 yards .... as I remember it was pretty accurate and never jammed

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,419 Posts
I would go with an S&W 460 XVR double-action over the BFR .45-70 single-action. You have as much muzzle energy with less felt recoil as a .45-70 from a short barrel with lots of flame and noise from unburned powder. The S&W 460 magnum can also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I shot one of the bronze frame 45/70 in the 80s. I forget who made it. It had bad muzzle blast due to ammo made for a rifle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would go with an S&W 460 XVR double-action over the BFR .45-70 single-action. You have as much muzzle energy with less felt recoil as a .45-70 from a short barrel with lots of flame and noise from unburned powder. The S&W 460 magnum can also shoot .454 Casull and .45 Colt.
I'm sure that the 460 is a very capable round and even though I tend to cock a revolver prior each shot, I prefer a double action .... my interest in considering a 45-70 stems from an old concept of having a rifle and pistol that use the same ammo .... without a doubt the 45-70 is a hoss with a muzzle blast to match .... if I was ever to purchase one it would have a Mag-na-ported 7.5" barrel

·
Registered
392 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken those .45-70 revolvers are quite a bit on the heavy side. That'd be a hefty combination to tote afield.

·
Registered
83 Posts
.460 S&W snubby I fired twice damn near broke my wrist on the 2nd round. Handed it back after 2 rds.
That thing is a Hand grenade with a handle!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Anyone who shoots that size of a round in a snubby deserves his injury!

What happened to an appreciation of the laws of physics?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I hadn't ever seen anyone fire that round. Wasn't aware of it's potential.. I am now.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts