Ruger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I install the Magpul Hunter American stock on my Ruger American in 22-250. (1st generation). I'm having problems feeding.

It came with a short action 5 round magazine. If I load all 5 rounds, it fails to feed every time. If I load only 4 rounds, it feeds fine, most of the time. **If I run the bolt extremely fast. Sometimes the bolt goes overtop of the round.
If I load 1 round, it feeds fine, every time. When it fails to feed, the round jams below the feed ramp. Other times, it doesn't go in straight. Manually inserting a round with an empty magazine works 100% every time.

I've reinstall the stock to be sure it's installed correctly, and is snug. I've tried SP and HP from multiple companies. I've double checked that the rounds are seated all the way back in the magazine.

Any suggestions, or anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!
- Sean

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It fed fine in the original stock, except the magazine would push all the of rounds out.

At the moment, I just have the magazine that came with the stock. I will get a new magazine, and post the results.

Thank you both for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
It might be something with the mag well on the new stock. How does the magazine fit in the new stock compared to the old? Is it a tighter fit?

·
Super Moderator
5,104 Posts
Might be too tight a fit and its squeezing the magazine causing some binding leading to the next round being slow to rise into position. Running the bolt slow probably no or not as many issues as the mag has time for the next round to slowly rise into position. When the bolt is pulled back, the next round should, for lack of a better term, snap into position instantaneously. I am betting on your rifle with the new stock, when you pull the bolt back, you can see a noticeable lag as the next round slowly (at least comparatively) rises into position.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I have the mag with 4 rounds it fails every time when the bolt is manipulated slowly. Less problems when pulled back and pushed forward very fast. I'll have to check closer tomorrow after work. I'll see if I can get a video of it.

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
After reading your more recent post it sounds like the stock is binding things up a bit. I’d take it back off and take some measurements with a caliper. It’s not uncommon for one to have to tweak an aftermarket stock to make it all come together.......I’d still start with a new mag, if that’s not the problem you’ll have an extra, which isn’t a bad thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried it again after work, and it seemed to cycle better. I had left the magazine full for the past week. I cycled ~50 rounds through it and it got better after about the 20th round. It jams when all 5 are loaded, but when 4 are loaded it functions flawless. The magazine slides in and out easier as well, after reloading a bunch. I did some measuring and everything is fine. I do not see any rub marks anywhere. It even works when manipulating the bolt slowly, now.

Thank you both for your suggestions! I didn't realize magazines had a break in period.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts