Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Magpul Dynamics today and talked to a nice lady. I expressed my interest in Magpul making Pmags for the Mini 14. She said they have had a lot of similar contacts and are seriously considering it.

If you want top-quality polymer magazines for your Mini 14, take a few minutes and contact Magpul by phone or e-mail to make your dreams come true.

Magpul | Unfair Advantage

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Well, I hate to rain on anyone's parade. But I bought one of their 10 round metal Mini 14 magazines and it has not worked out well. Darned if I understand why. But on two different Minis it is very unreliable. FTF problems are very common with it. I finally retired it as a bad investment.

I don't know what it is about Mini 14s, but only genuine Ruger magazines seem to work well with them, from my experience and from what I hear from others.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well, I hate to rain on anyone's parade. But I bought one of their 10 round metal Mini 14 magazines and it has not worked out well. Darned if I understand why. But on two different Minis it is very unreliable. FTF problems are very common with it. I finally retired it as a bad investment.

I don't know what it is about Mini 14s, but only genuine Ruger magazines seem to work well with them, from my experience and from what I hear from others.
It sounds like you're referring to ProMag versus Magpul/PMag.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
It sounds like you're referring to ProMag versus Magpul/PMag.
You know what; you are right. Thank you for correcting me.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I like Tapco Gen IIs. The run as good as factory in my Tactical.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I just picked up a mini-14 and one of the Tapco mags today. At first I was getting feed fails but it turned out to be my reloads were a bit long for the mag, switched to slightly shorter OAL reloads and it seems to be feeding fine now. I will probably be buying more of the Tapco's now that I know why it was having problems.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Magpul making Pmags for the Mini would be fantastic. Although Ruger making a mini model that takes AR mags would be even better.
It's been 36+ years, I would venture to say that they are not going to pursue that route.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If Ruger's mags were more affordable, this question would never come up. And, they are affordable compared to prior to 2004 during the assault weapons ban. kwg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hmmm...PMags for the Mini-14. I like this idea...I'd buy at least 5...Hmmm

For those of you that e-mail/sent message to Magpul. What exactly did you say? Just curious

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought a "few" Ruger magazines last month. Glad I did. I am pretty easy on things so I figure I am good to go for as long as I will be around.

I had PMAGS for my SIG 556. They worked fine, much better than the factory SIG mag.
Then I got rid of the SIG and I got rid of the PMAGS. Gave them to my cousin who uses them in his Colt.

I use D&H mags in my SCAR. Those are working great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anybody been able to find the Tapco GenII's anywhere? Cheaper than dirt claims they have them, but the pic shows the older mags so I don't know what they are selling. I gave up searching and just put the money down on two Ruger factory mags instead, but would still be interested in trying the Gen II's since they are so cheap.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Has anybody been able to find the Tapco GenII's anywhere? Cheaper than dirt claims they have them, but the pic shows the older mags so I don't know what they are selling. I gave up searching and just put the money down on two Ruger factory mags instead, but would still be interested in trying the Gen II's since they are so cheap.
I recieved 2 of em Tuesday from CTD. I have 4 now from them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I got mine at Mills Fleetfarm. There web site says genI but the one I picked up in the store was a genII.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have 5 of the tapco gen 2 mags and have been very happy with them. They have functioned flawlessly with over 100 rounds each. They are pretty hard to come by lately, but bass pro has had them everytime I've gone in.
I would love for magpul to make mini mags, but retailers would still have to choose to carry them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The TAPCO 30 rounds work great.

·
Registered
94 Posts
But TAPCO is out of business, so if you do come across a gen 2 mag, grab it.
Shame, I never had issues with TAPCO AK or Mini gen 2 mags, cheap too.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts