Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Magtech site shows the company offers ammo in a 9mm 124gr Bonded JHP. However I've never seen it anywhere. Has anyone seen and/or tried it? Thanks.

·
Banned
551 Posts
I haven't. All of mine (250 rounds) is common 115 grain except for 50 rounds of Hornady Critical Duty in 135 grain +P. Of which I have not had the 'you know whats' to shoot yet.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I know one of the LGS sells Magtech but I have never looked at it. A friend bought some 9 mm Magtech there for practice so I do not figure it was the bonded JHP. Next time I am it that shop I will inspect it and see what they have. They know a great deal about every thing they sell. If they get some new kind of ammo somebody there tries it.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I know one of the LGS sells Magtech but I have never looked at it. A friend bought some 9 mm Magtech there for practice so I do not figure it was the bonded JHP. Next time I am it that shop I will inspect it and see what they have. They know a great deal about every thing they sell. If they get some new kind of ammo somebody there tries it.
Which LGS? May want to stop in next time I'm up that way.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Shotgun Sports in Saks, which is near or maybe part of Anniston, AL. They did carry Magtech and I only assume they still do. I may be over that way in a week or so. I will look and post here. Unless I forget, of course. :D

·
Registered
704 Posts
Just shot 100 rounds of it this weekend. No problems. Good ammo.

·
Banned
650 Posts
Magtech is not SD ammo. Magtech is loaded in used cases. If you need SD ammo on a budget look to Freedom Munitions. At least you can specify new cases. 250 rounds of 124 gr XTP ammo is around $100 in new cases. Walmart is charging $15 a box for Federal FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Magtech is not SD ammo. Magtech is loaded in used cases. If you need SD ammo on a budget look to Freedom Munitions. At least you can specify new cases. 250 rounds of 124 gr XTP ammo is around $100 in new cases. Walmart is charging $15 a box for Federal FMJ ammo.
I disagree with your thoughts on Magtech.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My SR9c really didn't like Magtech 9mm 124 gr FMJ. I don't know why, but it was almost like they were too long or something. I didn't measure them. Often had issues with them FTF but only when charging the 1st round from a magazine. I'd push on the slide then, and albeit with some resistance they'd finally let go and chamber ok.

Had a lot of light strikes, but I'm rather certain that was an issue with my pistol (and I just happened to be running through the boxes of Magtech I had), so that's probably not a fair criticism. Just reporting it because it did happen, though maybe there were extenuating circumstances.

I use Speer Lawman 124 gr FMJ now with really good results. Also have been using Ventura Munitions 124 gr FMJ (because they were cheap and I had a store credit, which are reloads), also with really good results.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My lgs is looking for the jhp version; I like to support him whenever possible. I've never had a problem with any of the fmj. It's always fed perfectly and shot well.

·
Registered
930 Posts
I have used the Magtech 124 gr with no issue in my CZ 75 SP-01 all worked great, no issues at all. shot 250+ rounds of the MagTech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts