Ruger Forum banner

major cleaning

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  303lithgow 
#1 ·
I'm watching The Pacific on tv and doing a major cleaning of a lot of my firearms. Some haven't been shot in a year or have had just a few rounds fired and I don't do a total clean for a couple rounds. More important is I'm oiling them again and inspecting for rust. So far all look great.

#6 ·
If I know I won't be shooting a certain gun for awhile I put a lot of oil on it. So much that before shooting it I have to swipe some of and run a patch down the barrel.

What I really like about cleaning is I'm cleaning rifles that I'm seeing in the movie, M1, M1 Carbine, 03A4 (converted A3).

#3 ·
All you need now is a brew, but I know you don't drink.
Relaxing, isn't it..... :D

#7 ·
Very nice. There is something about it that is recharging isn't it. I agree with James on the brew though it just makes it that much better ;).

When my firearms are already cleaned and oiled and I get the itch to do it again I'll take the barrels out and use never dull wadding cloth detailing them inside and out.

#8 ·
It's hard to imagine a better way to spend an evening.

In a related way I bought a used 4" GP100 from a pawn shop this week that was 4 years old and looked pretty grungy. My favorite LGS will put gun parts into their ultrasonic cleaner so I disassembled this one before even bringing it home and had everything put in the ultrasonic except the Hogue grip. Wow - what a difference! The UC strips all the oil though so everything needs a good oiling as it goes back together. Looks like a new gun again except for the grip and the front sight, which I was going to replace anyway.

So that was my major cleaning project today.

#10 ·
I just finished a major cleaning of all of my firearms about a week ago. It took me about 10 days and when I was finished everyone of them was thoroughly cleaned and oiled.
Now, 4 of them (all .22 pistols) need to be cleaned again.
I have 120 rounds through my newly redone 22/45 since yesterday.

#12 ·
Lotta people can be anal about cleaning their guns that they REALLY detail it down to the last screw. Doesn't hurt it....it is a good thing if you want to sell your guns later on. Knowing someone took REALLY good care of it and is worth the money the buyer is willing to fork out.

#13 ·
Six handguns and two rifles to go.....

#14 ·
I have 5 I've been neglecting a little bit now. I never do this, but the Mark III, 10/22, and SR9, I have been running a, unofficial test on how dirty they will run and I think the SR9 is around 400-500 rounds with no problems so far. Next time I go to the range, hopefully this weekend, I will have a major cleaning day or 2 also

#16 ·
Are you still cleaning majors 303, or have you finished..... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.