Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a Mark III 22/45

I was stripping down and reassembling for practice and the third time I blew it.

Here are the symptoms:
1) All the parts are together it is assembled but something internally is wrong.
2) The Mag is difficult to get in and out.
3) I cannot get the gun to cock and click when I pull the trigger now (all safeties are off).
4) I cannot swing the mainspring housing out (no it is not the safety screw) I can get it part way out past the safety screw but not beyond that, yes I have removed the magazine.
5) When I pull the bolt back and locks in position (there is an empty mag in the gun), and then the mainspring housing levers start getting pushed out as if I was going to pull them out.
6) Releasing the bolt stop doesn’t result in the bolt moving forward. I have to tap the bolt with my hand to get it to close.
7) I can lower the bolt stop with an empty mag. When the gun was working right in order to lower the bolt stop I would have to pull the bolt back and while holding it I would then release the stop and the bolt would go forward.

I’m guessing it has something to do with the little lever thing on the back of the hammer. It’s in the wrong place, and I somehow got it back together with things internally in the wrong position and now I’m screwed.

Any help would be great. If I dont get it figured out come Friday I’m taking it to my smith.

Thanks,

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, apparently through an expert friend of mine I got the strut on the back of the hammer in the wrong place on assembly. I'm giving up and taking it to a smith. I am too tempted to put it in a vice and take a hammer and punch to it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Rich447

Well, apparently through an expert friend of mine I got the strut on the back of the hammer in the wrong place on assembly. I'm giving up and taking it to a smith. I am too tempted to put it in a vice and take a hammer and punch to it.
If it makes you feel any better, I've had at least one ruger.22 pistol at a time for the last 40 years. About 90% of the time I tear them down I have to go back to the Owner's Manual to get them back together. When I was much younger I used to try doing it blindfolded because I had too much time on my hands. Now, I just kind of mark out a day on the calendar to take one down and reassemble it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking the same thing. I can't wait till I get myself a Target model. Then I will have two, and I'll never mess them both up at the same time. I get it back from the smith Tuesday.

I think I know what caused it. I think I compressed the main spring on reassembly, and there was some resistance to it (not much but it wasn't freely moving). I should have stopped and tried again before I closed it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You put it back together with the strut in the wrong place. Your symptoms are text book. I wish I had seen your post before you took it to the 'smith'. I could have saved you the downtime and expense.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Coffee Pot. In case there is a next time (which there likely will be), what would one do?

·
Registered
191 Posts
You would have to have the gun in hand before I could explain the process. The biggest issue is getting mainspring housing open to dissasemble after getting the strut stuck in the frame. There are several methods to accomplish this depending on how badly the strut is stuck. I've walked people through this process by telephone on numerous occasions, but as I said, you have to have the gun in hand so I can explain what to look for. If you would like, when you get your gun back, I can call you and we can go through the whole process. It's just that it needs some visual aids along with the explanation to make it easier. Just drop me a PM if you would like to do that and we'll make arrangements for a communication and lesson on what to do when/if it occurs again.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Rich447,
You tickle me, here I thought I was the only one that got into fix's like that. And I thought I was the only one that wanted to take a hammer to something. COFFEEPOT can sure help you out he is a good guy and always alot of help to us all.
Maybe some day I'll have one here that will tickle you, as always I like to tinker with my guns and sometimes I get into a fix something like yours. I am sure it will work out for the best, I once had to take my MKII to the gunsmith in a ciger box. he still jokes with me to this day.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. With enough practice, and the right tools I expect I will be able to tear this down bolt for bolt, spring for spring and get it back together.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Tore mine down to clean before taking it to the range, finaly got it back together with skinned knuckles and blood blisters. Got back and decided to clean it again, same thing. So Ive got Iowegans book now but still havent gotten the nerve up to tear it down. Just give it a general cleaning, when it locks up I'll try it again. Old goats never learn[:I]

·
Registered
191 Posts
quote:Originally posted by snarski

Tore mine down to clean before taking it to the range, finaly got it back together with skinned knuckles and blood blisters. Got back and decided to clean it again, same thing. So Ive got Iowegans book now but still havent gotten the nerve up to tear it down. Just give it a general cleaning, when it locks up I'll try it again. Old goats never learn[:I]
I'll make you the same offer I made to Rich447. When you do get to that point, PM me and I'll walk you through it over the phone. Often it's easier when you can ask questions along the way and have somebody explain, in detail, exactly what is going on during each step of the process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts