Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a couple of CCW forums I have asked for brands of pants and jean with deep front pockets. I have found that even the $100 pants / jeans do not have that deep of pockets. I have an SP101 2.25 inch. A tailor I talked to said $15 a pocket to alter my pants.

My solution is a Dritz 9 in X 12 in denim iron on cloth patch for about $2.50 each. Look on Google. I cut the very bottom out of the pocket on a cutting board with a box knife, and make a pocket extension from the denim patch. I make the extension so it would cover most of the outside side of the pocket. That way the extra thick denim will help to lessen the printing. I was able to make the pocket about 3 inches deeper and have been carring the SP101 for about a week now. It does not print. Of course the jeans have been washed several times. You have to put some light cloth (an old tee shirt works fine) inside the patch where it comes in contact with itself or it will stick to itself when you iron it to the pocket.

I'll try it for a couple more weeks and then do my other pants with shallow pockets. The pics are not very good but maybe you will get the idea.

·
Banned
282 Posts
"Toters" Blue Jeans are designed for concealed carry. It looks as if you still need a cover shirt or jacket though. http://www.totersjeans.com/

Most cargo pants have deep front pockets, ideal for pocket carry. I do so with one of my carry guns, when I'm in the mood to carry a Taurus mod. 617, 2" .357, 7 shot, (medium frame) in a Ross pocket holster.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Doesn't help now during the summer but I bought a denim jacket made by Wrangler. Just a regular item at wallyworld and it is made with two large inside pockets that work well with my SP101 or a smallish semiauto. I usually keep the bottom one or two buttons fastened to help with the way the fabric lays. In a resturant I have taken the jacket off and lay it in my lap with pocket accessible or over the back of the chair where I can drop my hand down if needed. Can't remember what I paid for it exactly but it was less than 20 bucks a couple years ago.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Yeah, I've loved those jackets for years...wear 'em the same way...was visiting some folks at a church-run college a few years back and realized halfway home I'd left my jacket under a tree there...bet their eyes popped when they pulled out those 2 .44 speedloaders full of Silvertips...oh, well.....can't be perfect...
I like the pocket-deepening idea, 15AcreWoods...I'm still looking for the heavy-weight Tommy Hilfinger jeans with the deep pockets that will eat a J-frame and not print...loose and comfy-haven't found a pair in years...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Try Columbia brand. One model has a zipper close deep pocket "underneath" the regular right hand slash pocket. Unzip, stick in an SP101 snubby (with or without pocket holster), and zip. Yeah, looking, you might discern there's something there, but can't really tell what. Still leaves regular slash pocket to carry other stuff. Bass Pro Shops has 'em in stock.

·
Banned
723 Posts
I've had my suitpants altered by a local tailor, and it's money well spent.

As far as jeans and weekend/off-duty wear, I shop at Sam's and they have jeans and cargo type shorts/pants cheap. That is what I wear, plus the Polo "type" shirts or a Hawaiian Shirt from Sam's. Besides, I'm an "old broke down married guy" and couldn't care less about "fashion".

Biker

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
To me, dressup means jeans without any paint or caulk on them!!! Thanks for the tip on the Columbias...

·
Registered
62 Posts
lol by the last few posts I can tell I'm the youngest guy here [:0]

·
Registered
4 Posts
15AcreWoods,

Just read your post and wondered if you could update us on how the iron on's worked out. Are they durable over time? Sure would hate to have my SP101 going through the bottom!! I just had one pair of Wranglers modified exactly like you showed for $6.00! I wanted to try it before getting the rest of my cloths done. It works perfect!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
reminds me of stories i heard about John Wesley Hardin....he had special vests and pants where the pockets were enlarged for ccw.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It all depends on what you want to carry. I carry a Bersa 380 CC model in my front pocket in an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. The gun is like a chopped and channeled PPK and it has an aluminum frame. It holds 8+1 Corbon DPX and I carry it in Wrangler relaxed fit jeans or dockers and if I look down I think I see it, but if I look in a mirror it is not visible at all. I have not modified my pockets at all, and I really prefer pocket carry. It is the easiest way, and if, God forbid, you are in an uneasy situation you can just slip your hand into the pocket and the gun is gripped and ready to draw and no one is any the wiser.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts