Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 35+ years of firearms I've been all over the map. Getting into phases of one caliber or the other, or one type of gun or the other. With skeet I was all shotguns, in SASS all western and black powder, also a black powder phase only. Well I'm getting kind of old for that now and already had no long arms since I no longer had the strength to hold them up. Handguns were mainly 44 magnum with one 38 for my wife and now I'm basically 38 except for one 44. Could have saved a lot of money if I knew where I was going to end up at the start.

My last trade involved a 9.5" SRH Stainless that I Mag-na-Braked. (11.5" barrel). I thought the long guns were hard to hold. This was like holding a bucket of sand at arms length. It had a top of the line Leupold variable and CT grips. With some Mag-Na-Port work on top of the brake they installed. This was to be my "Hunting" gun, HA! Complications of 36+ years of diabetes was to prevent any Hunting thoughts. So I bobbed the barrel to 5.5" and yes I now could hold it to fire, but I still never was ever going hunting again.

So the newly modified SRH went to the dealer. I asked first for a 3" GP100 in stainless. Another, HA! We looked and looked and just never were on the computer or phone at the right time. We'd get the "If only you had called just 5 minutes ago.". I expanded my search to include any short barreled, stainless, Ruger double action. And then I found a place that had just two (they had NO other Ruger models) of the 2.25" stainless SP101 in 38 special only. Well my wife's gun is a lady Smith in 38 so that's what I shoot so she won't pop in a 357 (if she could) or a plus P 38 and have problems. So I figured the chambering was a OK.

I frantically called and emailed my dealer, never getting ahold of him till finally I got an email from him thanking me for the leg work and that one of those last two were on its way. Yeah! I am going to score a bunch of 38 ammo, speed loaders and loader pouches so it's not that bad of a downgrade.

So now I'll have nothing but carry guns in 38 with one 22 mag and for the house I still have my Ruger Alaskan in 44 mag. I'll buy just enough 44's to keep my Alaskan fed and the rest will be 38's to shoot, have fun, and for carry. Based upon my current health I feel I came out a winner and my dealer didn't do to bad himself. Smithy.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Smithy,
If we all knew where we were going to end up from the start, things would be a whole lot different. I guess part of the fun in life is waking up each day with no knowledge of what the day will hold. Not sure if you're a religious man, but I believe God has a plan for each of us and He is the only one who knows what happens to us next.

I think you made a fine trade and I'll tell you why. Because the SP101 is something you can and will shoot and it's something you will enjoy. I tend to not hold on to things just for the sake of holding on to them. I'm a photographer and graphic designer by trade and I've always had a strong affinity for different film cameras. I've quite literally owned hundreds of them over the last 10 years. Only one of them is special to me and that is my dad's camera. Otherwise, they're all disposable. I've bought and sold and traded them to get what I want. Sometimes giving up something I really liked, but just couldn't justify keeping in order to get something else. I bought a really rare digital camera a few years ago (I know, a rare digital camera?). I plopped down almost $2500 for the setup. I wanted it so bad, I couldn't stand it. But in the end, I didn't need that expensive toy that I barely used and it went to the chopping block for something more practical that I could and, perhaps more importantly, WOULD use.

I'm sure you'll miss your custom SBH, but take comfort in knowing you have something now that you can enjoy shooting and that you will actually get out and use as it will be both more comfortable for you and comparable to your wife's pistol so you can enjoy shooting them together.

A good trade doesn't have to be about dollar values. If it makes practical sense, that's all the value you need.

Enjoy your new pistol. they look like great little guns! Just get you a set of these and you won't miss that purty SBH at all! :)

Happy shooting, friend!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, I'm the last person to criticize your plight. I've made at least a couple dz really bad trades and sells, maybe twice that many. Maybe more?

But in the spirit of old too soon, smart too late, I'm down to my last couple acquisitions. Don't even know what they are.

This year I picked up a couple items of need. A SP101 4", waited patiently for an adjustable sight SP101 since they were first introduced, and a M637 Smith, regretting selling my first one for several years. I was smart enough to keep my .4 5/8" .357 BH, and my 5.5" SBH, 30 years now?, although I did unload a 4" Security Six, bad decision, as the M686 and M19 I went through after that are long gone.

.243's, I'm on my 5th, 7-08's, my 4th, .223's, 5th and last bolt .223 at least. .22's who knows, but I've kept a 77VBZ since they came out, and never sold a 10/22. Bought my last two M336's in .30-30/.35, after selling and trading two others in each caliber, should have kept the first two.

And so on. Smart too late, but I got there.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
Smithy...I think you made a right choice! I want guns I can USE...not just look at! I've passed on good deals for guns that knew I would never shoot...just to save the $$!

In 2009...I lost both jobs within 5 days of each other (wife was a 'stay-at-home' mom and pregnant with our 3rd) and ended up selling all but 3 guns (the 4th one I bought back as soon as I was able...thankfully, it was still there!)

The guns we kept were 2 x 2.5" SP101's...the wife's in .38+P and mine in .357 mag...and a 20 GA shotgun (the wife's Remington 870 Tactical) for home & personal defense. I carried 125 grain Federal JHP, Hydra-Shok .357's in mine and the same in .38+P for back-up...as they would work in the wife's .38 as well as mine! We felt that the ability to carry 'matched' ammo was more important than having a heavier caliber for home & personal defense...and sold everything else [Glocks Models 23, 26, 32, 33 & 36; 6 x GP100's in .357 mag; CMMG in 5.56; S&W 4516; Kahr PM9; Ruger Mark III Hunter (a birthday gift from my wife); etc.]...it was painful...but food on the table was a priority!

The Lord has answered my prayers and has re-filled my 'stable' with a few toys that were 'heartfelt' wants to replace! Including blessing me with a 4" fixed-sight, stainless, full-lug, GP100 in .357 mag (see avatar) that is a nicer shooter than all the other GP100's that I'd had (I would still like a 5", but not necessary) and 2 Gen II Glocks, a Model 19 in 9mm for the wife and a Model 23 in .40 for myself! We found them 'NIB' from 1992 & 1995 respectively and they shoot straighter than any other Glock pistol we've owned or that I've shot! They are amazing! The GP100...is the best shooter I've ever owned as as a revolver...it'll shoot one ragged hole at 35' from a rest using 158 grain Hornady XTP JHP's...POA with the fixed-sight is 'dead-on' down the center, not 'adjusted' like you typically have to do with most fixed-sight revolvers!

So, while we have 'less' (total number of guns) we have 'more' (better shooting guns)!

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Smithy:

My feeling are if it works for you then do it. I have made trades that many on the internet would be quick to criticise but they work for me and I'm happy. Like Stachel Paige said "Don't look back they could be gaining on you". Congrats on the SP they are a great revolver.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
You scored a sweet wheel gun, enjoy!!!!

·
Registered
4,954 Posts
Good for you, Smithy and, by the way, that makes a LOT of sense. Better a gun that you can and will take out and shoot than one that collects dust because you don't care to shoot it, anymore.

·
Registered
449 Posts
It's, maybe, a good thing we don't know where we'll end up. We might take a short-cut and miss out on all of the in-between.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Well you got a great gun that you will use and enjoy. Sounds like a win no matter what road you took to get there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lifes too short not to take a chance

Smithy, you done good! Whatever makes you happy is most always the best route to take. I have made trades where I got the shorter end of the stick, and made trades where I got the longer end. But in the trades I made, I got what I wanted, and I traded what I had to get it. I don't trade with those who just want to screw you, no future in that. I like the win-win trades where both traders are happy about the deal. My best trade to date was trading a Ruger Old Vaquero 45 Colt and a Savage 223 bolt action for a Benalli Vinci shotgun. It was a straight trade and we were both in love with what we traded for, a win-win. What makes a good trade? It is if your happy after the trade, and that is all that counts.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Sorry to here about your disability. I can sympathize... I have a couple thorns that have forced me to give up things I once enjoyed.

I've traded a few guns in the past and only regret a couple: M15 and M66. I was going through a 44 phase and thought they were not big enough. Time has a way of bringing out the practical.

Congrats on the SP. It will handle the 38s with flying colors, and eat +Ps for breakfast.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so very much for the words of encouragement. And Yes the Lord has been with me through thick and thin and I trust and lean on His judgement and guidance throughout my life. I am so blessed to still be alive inspite of my ailments to enjoy my wife, children, and grandchildren and on top of that I've still been able to continue my gun hobby, although not shooting quite as much as I use to. The Lord was quick to show me what is of value in the world. I use to shoot a case of shotgun ammo per week when the NSSA and then Christ brought to me my wife seemingly out of thin air. She invited me out (never would of happened the other way around as I was way too shy.) and as we grew close we married and soon had a full family with three children. About that time He brought me back and I gave my life to Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. A case a week no longer seemed quite that important. Thanks again for all the kind words. Smithy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts