Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about trying my hand at making some Blackhawk and or Bisley grips. I have nice grips on these guns now but I just like to tinker. These are some of the woods that I have to work with. Bocote, Cocobolo and leopard woo.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,577 Posts
Those all will make good grip material. Enjoy the project and good luck. I await an update on your progress.

·
Registered
4,326 Posts
The last board has a great pattern to it. Looking forward to seeing the project progress to completion.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Bocote would look really good on a Bisley. I like the leopard wood on a Super. Keep us updated. May want to try a sample with some not so exotic wood first to learn the tricks and how to avoid pitfalls. It's advice I give, not sure I would actually follow it myself! Too fun to just jump right in! I am thinking of tackling making some elk antler grips and I might just try some cheap wood to get the idea and approach down first.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
nawagner: I've done exactly that. I have some curley red oak laying around from my knife builds. A lot more work would need to be done on these of course. But I'm just testing the waters. 😀 I'm going to get some drum sander attachments for my drill press. They will aid in shaping the radius.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I found Brownells to be the best deal on grip screws and brass ferrules, they sell a 10 pack, otherwise most charge $6.99 and up for each set. When my Son is no longer a "high risk" we are goi ng to make some grip panels out of figured Rosemary Pine. I will post some pics when we do. I haven't seen a piece of Bocote in ages, nice! Do you use a paste filler on that curly Oak?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Vincent: Thank you. Already have some hardware. As for the grips, nothing on them. Just rough sanded and I wetted them to show the grain. I have some dandy red cedar. For appearance sake It would make some nice grips. But I think the pine varieties are a bit too soft. Good luck with your upcoming project. :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally Got a set of grips made. Decided to go with cocobolo this time around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts