Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been checking around the LGS and big box stores in my area and I keep seeing shelves upon shelves full of .40S&W, but not much 9mm, .22LR, .223 etc.

I'd be in hog heaven if I had a gun chambered in .40S&W! Looks like I got to put an SR40 or something similar on my short list here.

It might be the only gun I can get ammo for during a panic! :eek:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Same thing in my area. JHP .40 are still a little harder to get my hands on though.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Same here in Arkansas. Well.....my part of Arkansas anyway. :)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Mass merchandisers are empty here. The occasional LGS's are low and predictably expensive. .40 S&W is a very popular pistol here and sells out as quick as anything else.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I bought the SR9c because I thought it would be easier to get ammo during tough times. Guess i was wrong... :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Haha, same thing here in San Diego. Plus 17 HMR.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
It's also making me rethink my rifle choice. No .308 available but I'm seeing 30-06.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I just bought a SR40c as my Christmas present. :)

Of course, the .40 S&W here (SW Florida) is only 50-round boxes, none of the larger(cheaper) quantities. Hate dropping $20 a box when I normally paid $70 for a box of 250.

But at least it's here. I have about 30 .22 LR left (yep, 30 shots) and haven't seen any in a month. My range has it, but only for range use, no sales to take away.

I'm going to start reloading, but powder and primers are disappearing fast as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's also making me rethink my rifle choice. No .308 available but I'm seeing 30-06.
I thought the same thing. I'd like to get something in .308 and .30-06. Better to have a variety so you can find ammo for something during a shortage.

After hearing what happened in '08-'09 and seeing first hand what's happening now, I'm not subscribing to the 9mm, .223, .308 NATO only mentality.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have an SR40. It's a real nice shooter. I just sent 300 rounds down range with it this week. I wish I would have gotten another one before all the gun ban stuff, etc. I just don't have the funds. I also have 6-9mm's and they are fun as heck to shoot also. I wish I could find ammo!

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Holds true for my area as well. Been seeing lots of .40 cal in the various places I've been looking for .45 ACP, .357 Mag., .22 Mag and .22LR...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't remember the last time I bought store bought ammo. I've been reloading for 28 years now and reload 17 different calibers. Just bought my first 2 .45 autos, a Kimber and a Springfield 1911 A1. I bought dies and bullets, had the brass and powder and primers already.

Whenever the market goes crazy and buys up everything on the shelves, I'm glad I've got enough supplies for 30,000 rounds waiting to go. I bought a brick or two of .22 ammo at every Gun-show for $10 and now have more than I'll shoot in the rest of my life. 2 cents a shot too. Squirrels BEWARE!

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Just about broke down and bought an SR40 twice today in two different stores. Finally I just back ordered a truck load of .22LR and 9mm ammo at Brownells.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts