Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a NIB 10/22 with mannlicher stock.
I am trying to clean the action before firing the first round but the manual that came with the gun refers to a band to remove. My other 10/22 has this band and I can remove the stock, no problem.
The Mannlicher has no band.
After removing all visible screws, and the safety in the center position, the stock will not come out.
Please, what is the trick?
Thank you.
MTA

·
Registered
10,286 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Buddy, for your welcome.
But, before taking your advice to destroy all evidence, I'll wait to see if I get a solution.
I don't even find were the stock is binding; frustrating.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mannlicher stock removal

Mine wouldn't come apart either; figured out that if I took off the forearm cap it popped right out...just looking at it you would think that the barrel wouldn't hang up on the cap but it does. Not sure about yours? Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A friend told me to remove the cap. I tried, didn't budge. I hammer it (using a wood dowel), didn't budge.
Any suggestions, anybody?
Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mannlicher removed

Knowing that the cap must go out and encouraged by these responses I took a dowel and with quite assertive hammer blows it slided out.
Thank you to all.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
In the ruger instruction book I got with my 10-22 w/ mannlicher style stock, it described bumping the cap off, but to take care as it is easy to permanently disfigure, ding, or whatever you want to call an ugly knock on the cap while dis-installing it. You can find the take-down instructions on line that include the 'international' stock version. BTW I really like mine.
AL

·
Registered
1 Posts
Success & with no hammer

Just got mine today, was doing pre-fire cleaning and was also puzzled by the topcap removal. Saw the ideas about punch and hammer, but there is not much purchase for the punch to drive the cap forward (toward the muzzle). So I got out my swiss army knife and MacGyver'd it. After removing the screw. Set the knife blade at the interface of the cap and stock and push down to force the knife in behind the cap, that started the movement. Add a little twist and it moved forward about 1/8 inch. Then a larger tool to keep pushing forward and it's off. No visible marks were left and no hammer was used.

Rest of the removal is like any other 10/22.

Reinstall is done by hand pressure, seems to just snap in place with a tight fit.

See the pics at Mannlicher stock removal - Ruger Forum

Can't wait to get to the range!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mannlicher Stock questions

A friend just picked up a Ruger mannlicher stock and it does not have a cap or screw. Is the barrel threaded to accept a screw from the bottom of the cap? Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just following the Ruger website mine came off real easy using my Swiss Army Knife just as in the picture. :D I want to take off the coating and re-stain it using Tru-Oil.
Thanks aplgc!

Chinxy! :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
i used a plastic black piano key and about ten light taps with a hammer. Plastic was deffintly the way to go. tapping at the bulge at the end, thanks all previous posters i was confused and didnt even see that screw till i read this.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I read on another part of the forum to remove the screw, and use a 3/8 inch wooden dowel. Place it against the raised part of the cap and gently tap the dowel with a small hammer. Took two light taps; came off like butter for me.

Don't use a metal edge (like somebody else did in the forum) and try to wedge the cap off - you'll damage the wood or the cap.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Never had a problem with my International model with the Mannlicher stock, in fact had to remove it in order to install the BMX trigger assembly, and if I remember right in order to install the leather sling properly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts