Ruger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used P89 and did a quick cleaning before shooting the first time. While deep cleaning after shooting a few hundred rounds I noticed a slight amount of rust on shaft of the manual safety. My question is, what is the trick to disassemble the 2 halves of the safety? After close examination, it looks to me like I have to remove the rear sight and remove the firing pin blocker to get it apart, but I want to check first. I don't want to mess with the sight unless I have to since I've read that it can be a bear to even move it let alone remove it.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
That's deeper than I've stripped my P90-RNettles or Iowegan can help you with this one...I'd clean it with aluminum foil and put a drop of oil on it....

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,226 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iowegan, Thanks, I have that same schematic. I took off the rear sight and no joy. I did just as you suggested. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and CLP. I'm not going to go any deeper than that. The safety and firing pin is something I probably better leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually, you needn't remove the rear site at all. The extractor "locks" in the right side. Simply removing the extractor allows the right side to "fall out". The other side comes rather easily after removing the right side. BTW, the DVD "Complete Ruger P" is the way to go as far as complete disassembly/reassembly of any P-series other than the P345.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
quote:Originally posted by CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone

Actually, you needn't remove the rear site at all. The extractor "locks" in the right side. Simply removing the extractor allows the right side to "fall out". The other side comes rather easily after removing the right side. BTW, the DVD "Complete Ruger P" is the way to go as far as complete disassembly/reassembly of any P-series other than the P345.
Thats right. It's not as hard as it looks. BTW, CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone, where can I get my hands on that DVD?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I saw the DVD on eBay for 19.95 but didn't buy it for fear that it would be nothing more than a "how to" for field stripping the different P series. So, CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone, you are saying it is pretty complete as far as dissassembly goes?

·
Registered
25 Posts
"I saw the DVD on eBay for 19.95 but didn't buy it for fear that it would be nothing more than a "how to" for field stripping the different P series. So, CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone, you are saying it is pretty complete as far as dissassembly goes?"

They take you step by step of COMPLETE disassembly, then complete reassembly. Everything except the front site. I thought the same when I 1st heard of this DVD. They show you how to disassemble Safety models AND Decock models. You won't be disappointed with this vid.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CantLeaveWellEnuffAlone, I went ahead and removed the extractor and the safety came off without a problem. Found light rust around the right side safety and the hole for the detent spring was filled with rust and crud. Got everything cleaned and lightly oiled with CLP. All went back together just fine and everything works as advertised. I ordered a copy of the DVD today and should have it soon. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts